TechSpot

Computex 2014: A look at Gigabyte's latest PC hardware

By Scorpus
Jun 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Computex wouldn't be Computex if there wasn't a fair share of PC hardware on show. I headed to Gigabyte's VIP Suite in the magnificent Taipei 101 to check out some of the company's new and recently announced products, which they...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +599

That is one uglier-than-hell case mod.

3. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 422   +48

It's a HellBoy design, what would you expect. For that matter, it's very realistic and doesn't have to be practical, just like an Apple phone doesn't.It's just for show.

4. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Having just purchased a Gigabyte Z87 motherboard I must say the audio quality does leave a lot to be desired. It is worse than my previous on board audio. However I am not so concerned as I decided it would be better to purchase a good quality sound card with the money saved on buying a more expensive motherboard. I would be interested to see if the Z97 motherboards all have better sound quality.

5. dualkelly

dualkelly TS Rookie Posts: 22

Unless you have an Amp and some really good speakers the cheap things that most people call computer speakers really leave much to be desired you are not really going to notice any difference in sound quality with on board sound vs sound card... However if you have a good amp like say a Yamaha best in the business for any home user and over a few thousand dollars worth of speakers you will notice a really big difference with on board sound vs sound card... I have tried both on a gigabyte mobo... can not stand the on board sound card... There are however some motherboard options with a sound blaster card built in...

6. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Well I do have reasonable quality in ear phones and with the on board sound card there is quite a bit of back ground hiss which I suspect is due to interference. For that reason alone I would consider a separate sound card.
    Well you don't need to spend a fortune on Hi Fi to get good results. Like most things there is a sweet point where spending more only buys incremental improvement.
    I did consider getting a mother board with Sound Blaster built in but the other features of the board were not what I wanted and I could easily purchase a separate sound card with the money saved.