Computrt won't boot up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin16

Computer won't boot up!

Hi

I used someone's Win98 comp and changed something in the BIOS and now the comp won't even boot up. There was not POST test or anything. Nothing even show up on the monitor and the mouse and keyboard doesn't seem to be working either.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you're even getting power? No keyboard, monitor or post sounds pretty severe. What makes you think something you did in the bios is the cause? Is it in some kind of hibernation mode? What type of MB? Can you get back into bios?

Do you have a mb manual so you can clear cmos? A little more info would be helpful

O yea, I'm getting power. It gets stuck on the POST

I cant get in the BIOS
i hav removed the CMOS battery and replaced it, which resets BIOS config settings.

still not working....

I had that happen on a junky Dell pro server.
I know this seems extreme ,but when your at the point what the heck, right.?

you better off removing all the hardware and components,this includes CPU
make sure there is no power attached,leave battery in reset cmos jumper for a good 60 secs.

add cpu and 1 stick of memory only ,if you need the graphics card plug that in now also.
connect power see if it fies ,cpu fan ,PSU fan you know the drill
If you get graphical post your OK
if not remove memory stick if you have another one plug that in and start over.

past all that you might have to get someone to flash the bios for youi, cause it seems that on older machines bios chip gets flacky if you try to change settings
may be a memory thing? Good Luck and Happy New Year

Thanks for the reply

Are you sure i should remove all the components? Because i read somewhere that says i should just just reset the CMOS jumpers and/or remove the battery as a last resort.

The computer isn't that old. its a built comp in which someone installed win98. if i remember correctly, i was trying to overclock it and i screwed up somehow.

I can flash the bios myself but i dont kno if it will help

Anyway, Thank you and a Happy New Year to you too.

I went to up grade a MB with faster CPU ,it behaved same way
removing all components just insures a complete bios reset there is some kind of
Vram going on.
did you mention the over clocking I don't remember, older PIII's where very funny bout this AMD's seem to handle it alright.
save yourself some guess work reflash to updated bios and start fresh
PS Last time I removed a battery (STD32 industrial PC) I lost all my bios out of flash.what a nightmare that was.

Is it possible that the cpu fried because i overclocked it from the bios? I heard that AMD's heat up pretty rapidly. The fan was on and everything was fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back