Compuuter Goes to Sleep - Refuses to Wake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Computer Goes to Sleep - Refuses to Wake

My work computer is an eMachine running Windows XP Professional, with a dual 1.7 GHz Celetron CPU and 384 MB of RAM. We recently boght a new Gem GM-1701B plug-and-play monitor and added some VRAM to the computer.

Everything was working great up until about two weeks ago, when the computer developed a tendency to go into sleep or hibernation mode, and then refuse to wake up. The only way to get back to using the computer is to do a forced shut down from the power button and then reboot. This happens despite my setting all power options to "Always On" and turning hibernation off. In addition, there seems to be no pattern to when this happens. Sometimes it goes to sleep literally one minute - or even less - after I've booted the computer; other times it stays on for as long as an hour. It doesn't seem to be a "sleep" proper thing anyway, as it switches off sometimes when I'm playing CDs or opening an application.

Aside from this problem, the computer and monitor run fine and give no hint that anything is wrong until it's too late.

If anyone has an idea as to what is causing this problem and can offer a solution, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The fact that you`ve added ram recently, makes me think that it may be a ram problem.

It might be a good idea to download and run the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

Let it run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

This will test your ram for any problems.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

in addition to howard's advice, i reccomend that you look at the event log. perhaps you can find something explaining the cause of your troubles.

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, neither of your suggestions has turned up any useful information about what may be causing the problem. I let Memtest run seven times, and it never reported anything unusual. And the system logs only have events listed for the usual startup stuff, nothing for when the computer goes into sleep/hibernation mode.

Update: Just tried a different, older monitor. Nothing changed, so it's obviously the computer.

Is there anything else that I should try?

if you are unable to resolve the problem and want it fixed, take it to a local repair shop. you're probably going to lose a bit of cash over this one, though.

Same problem

I don't know why my computer goes to sleep sometimes less than a minute, or sometimes 5 or 10 or 15......etc. Same as with jedzz's computer it doesn't awake. I don't think its a ram issue because I have two 512mb cards in my computer.
I'm wondering if it could be my graphics card, I have an ATA all in wonder pro 9700.
Seriously I spent a sh*tload of $ building this computer & I don't know what is going on. I have tried reinstalling windows to no avail. The problem is still there.
I have an Intel 865perl motherboard(3.06ghz),1 gig of ram,HP L1925 Monitor,& I'm running XP Home.
ty for whatever help you can offer me

Try updating you graphics card drivers and check the video settings under Control Panel, Display

thank you

I have updated everything on my computer. Like I said in my last post I was thinking it could be that so I did update & I also checked my video settings. I have exhausted every rescource I can think of so thats what brings me here. Thank you Tmagic650 for trying to help. If you can think of anything else please let me know.

Only other things I can think of atm
1) Clearing the CMOS
2) Check the voltages/amps on your power supply

To clear the CMOS look in your manual if you can, they usually have instructions. Ordinarily you will find a jumper near your CMOS battery. There are different methods. I've had some computers that require you to power the computer off, switch the jumper, leave it for a bit, move the jumper back and go. I've also had some that required you to power down, move the jumper, turn the computer on, turn it back off (I usually just go into the BIOS and power off there), move the jumper back and go. If nothing else you can unplug the machine, remove the CMOS battery, wait a few minutes to put it back and go. You may have to experiment.

As for the power supply. I use a cheap multimeter to check the voltages/amps. The sticker on the power supply should state what your target is. As far as how much variation is too much? It depends on who you ask. I get a bit worried with about a 5% variation from the target, but I've seen articles claim a much higher tolerance.

an E-machine? You'ld better replace the PSU right away unless you want a giant paperweight.

I don't have a manual, my basment was flooded 2 yrs ago. the manual was damaged. My comp was upstairs.
I built my computer, so forget that emachine crap (lol).
I checked my power supply & it's fine.
Check my profile I guess I typed in what I have on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back