concerns about x600 pro overclocking with ATItool

Status
Not open for further replies.

frasier

I have a sapphire x600 pro 256mb pci-e

I am finding my max core speed with ATItool and i have some concerns

my defaults are 400/300 and ATItool now has my core up to 520! but without any errors for half an hour. i'm afraid my card will melt. :eek: what should my max be at?

also i have artifact scanning set to stop scanning after 5 seconds without artifacts

just as long as you keep the card cooled properly you should be fine. cooling is the critical factor in overclocking.

No!!!

I have (or had) a sapphire x600 256MB. I was using the stock cooler, and over clocked my core to 580 or so (using ati tool). I was quite proud of my self. Well that was a mistake. I let the card run at those speeds for around 3 months, and one day i try and boot the machine, and no video. I take the card out (to reseat it, i just got back from a lan) and notice some marks around the capacitors. I flip the card over and see a huge amount of scorching. Tested the card in other mbs, and it only works off and on.

So what i am trying to say is, if your going to oc the card, get rid of the stock fan, and get a better cooler. That thing they have on it is junk.

Sean

Oc

Or you could buy a better card and overclocking is not needed, it is only for people that can't seem to understand the term upgrade. If it is not fast enough for you upgrade.

Overclocking is not needed at all. EVER

Overclocking is not needed at all. EVER
overclocking is frequently needed. if done right, it can yield significant performance gains without spending lots of money on new hardware. the objective of overclocking is to increase performance without buying new parts.

back to the thread...
if you do decide to overclock i reccomend you use the zalman vf700-cu cooler. it does weigh a bit on the heavy side, but it can keep your card at the right temperatures.

No

BillGates said:
If it is not fast enough for you upgrade.

Well that might be easy for you to say (your rig is a bit overkill) but no all of us can upgrade a part every time something new comes out. Now ocing your video card aint gonna help that much, but something like your CPU...could prove helpful.

Sean

what do you mean overclock my cpu now why in the world would I want to do that. I get no lag, ever, try and save up a few bucks get an odd job or something, it is safer that way so you don't have to worry about damaging the card.

Just remember to put money away

new stuff

AtK SpAdE said:
Well that might be easy for you to say (your rig is a bit overkill) but no all of us can upgrade a part every time something new comes out. Now ocing your video card aint gonna help that much, but something like your CPU...could prove helpful.

Sean

You don't have to upgrade everytime just wait until you can get what is in your price range. Like me I waited ohh 5 years to save up for my 3D Visualization/Gamming/Video Mastering Rig'
;)

BillGates said:
what do you mean overclock my cpu now why in the world would I want to do that. it is safer that way so you don't have to worry about damaging the card.
I was not reffering to you, but to the person asking the question.
BillGates said:
save up a few bucks get an odd job or something
I work at food lion..about 25-30 hours a week, law wont let me work much more. Plus i cant put all my money into my PC, i have other expenses. Car Insurance (1700 a year) cell phone etc.
BillGates said:
it is safer that way so you don't have to worry about damaging the card.
I absolutley agree with that, as far as the Gfx card. But the CPU is a different matter. I think that can help out alot

Sean

weird... I just hope that one day the price of these stupid card would go down and the quality of processor power increases dramatically.

When that happens we will all be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back