Config\System Missing - System Restore from Recovery Console HELP!

By Chris_
May 11, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi TechSpot,

When I boot up my base system, and proceed after completing the POST, I receive:

A great solution by the way is here

So, I proceed to rebooting and loading up my Windows XP Professional w/o SP disc, and loading the Recovery Console. However, when I come to select the Windows installation (1), after I type 1 and hit enter (lots of times), nothing happens, it's like my system locks up.

So, I thought I'd try a complete fresh install from the disc, but when the installer gets to the "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows" it just stops here, and locks up once again.

Now, I begin to think that means my Western Digitial Caviar 160GB SATA hard disk has failed, since this all started from a hard shutdown .. the system was instructed to shutdown through Windows, but was taking longer than usual, so I used the case power button to shutdown at the same time (corrupted files..) next day, I receive the quoted error message.

Now I have messed about with ideas, but seem to get stuck when it comes to writing or deleting things from the hard disk.

What I've done:
    - Attached an old Maxtor IDE hard disk to my base system, which BSOD's when I try to load XP from it :mad: .. when I load the XP install disc with this hard disk and my SATA hard disk connected I can LOGIN (prompted for administrator password when selecting Windows installation at Recovery Console) to the IDE HDD, then if I type
    which is the SATA drive letter, I can READ files by using the DIR command. BUT, with the solution to the error I receive when trying to load Windows I cannot use the CD (Change Directory) command which is needed for the fix. When I try to use it I get an 'Access is Denied.' message.

However, when I come to selecting a Windows installation, I can select the first (1) and hit my ENTER key numerous times to be prompted for a administrator password which I then hit ENTER again, and then I am finally at the C:\WINDOWS prompt. C: being the IDE HDD, not the SATA.

Once I looked around, I typed HELP where I found the LOGON command, which lets me access (read/write/other) other partitions/hdd's, but when I choose the SATA HDD (2), it just freezes, this is why I think its failed?

So, I am pretty much lost and have ran out of ideas.. this is my last resort because I'd rather go and buy a new Seagate disk tomorrow than get this disk RMA'd over the course of 1/2 months.. does anyone have any ideas on how I can access the SATA disk in Recovery Console or any sort of console so that I can format it.. I thought that formatting through the Recovery Console would make the Windows installation (reformat) not hang on the 'Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows'

ALSO, I can read from the disk, so does that mean I can copy important files onto my external usb hard disk?

ANY HELP I would appreciate very much!
    Thanks in advance
    - Chris :dead:
  2. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

3. Chris_

Chris_ Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

But I'm sure if I choose the FRESH INSTALL option, then it will proceed with

Won't it?

So reading from that Repair XP guide, my hard disk IS faulty?
  4. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

Well, if you are SURE, then it probably will.

gl
  5. Chris_

Chris_ Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok, I'll try the FRESH INSTALL >> REPAIR option now and leave it over night.. if its not moved, I can go and buy a new HDD (shinyness :D) tomorrow and try and recover some data.

Thanks for your help, I'll update you.
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,275   +280

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.