Conflicting info on GTX 980

Alpha Gamer

Guys, I keep bumping into this info that some gtx 980 models will not spin their fans when in idle (strix for sure, the others, I just don't know). Some people are also claiming that regardless of the model, you can set a fan curve in msi afterburner to emulate this behavior.

So, first I'd like to know if my gtx 980 (g1 gaming) is one of those models and, if not, why can't I reproduce this behavior using msi afterburner? However low I set the fans, they will stay at 12%.

Here's a pic http://prntscr.com/5xbbls

I've read that you have to install a custom firmware to get non-STRIX models to stop. I'm not sure how true that is as mine are STRIX cards, but I've also heard that if you don't then you can't get them below a certain speed.

I've read that you have to install a custom firmware to get non-STRIX models to stop. I'm not sure how true that is as mine are STRIX cards, but I've also heard that if you don't then you can't get them below a certain speed.
I followed the instructions above and it worked perfectly. Now, my fans won't start spinning before 60 degrees Celsius.

Back