Confusing gfx card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings! I am currently having a problem with my computer and hoping someone can help me out. About 1-2 months back I started getting hard lockups while playing Final Fantasy XI, no mouse movement, no sound. Crashes only occur in this game and it's the only game I have to test things out with. My computer does not lockup when running benchmarks or videos/movies. When the lockups started I was running a radeon 9600.

I first checked computer temps and voltages and everything seemed normal. I tried removing each stick of memory and testing with memtest and also swapping it out for memory I have on hand to no avail. I tried updating all of my drivers. I even tried older drivers for a solution, still locking up. I tried removing everything from the computer except the necessary and the problem still occurs. I have a few other graphics cards working in other machines so I tried those, Radeon 9200 and Radeon 7000. The Radeon 9200 had the exact same problem, however, the 7000 worked and still works to this day! Unfortunately, its unbearably slow.

So once I finally thought I figured out the problem, I invested in a shiny new Geforce 6600. I was pleased with the performance of my first Nvidia card, until, bam... lockup. I'm stumped, 3 bad graphics cards or does my computer hate me? :confused:

Specs:

430watt PSU
Syntax Mobo
Athlon Xp 2400
2 512 pc2700
Radeon 9600 (lockup)
Radeon 9200 (lockup)
Radeon 7000 (works)
Geforce 6600 (lockup)

I can think of a few possibilities:

What OS are you using? Most recent updates?
do you have any manuallly operated firewalls?
Are you using a router?
Any particular background programs running while you play?
Does your internet connection rout through a PCI card?

Hi benken, to answer your questions, I am running Windows XP SP2 with the last updates. I use Sygate Firewall Pro, though it doesnt seem to make a difference whether or not the program is running not. I am using a Dlink Wireless PCI NIC conntected to a Linksys wireless router. Thank you for your response.

I think I fixed the problem. Once you mentioned all of the networking related stuff I immediately updated my NIC card drivers. I set up my character in a busy spot like I usually do to test for lockups and went afk. When I came back about 1-2 hours later it was still running strong. I think this may have fixed my problem. Thanks for your help benken!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back