Confusing in choosing RAM.

faizrajaie

im about to buy new RAM..but im confused with the frequency of bus type..which part i have to refer in choosing the frequency of RAM..or i can just go buy the highest frequency of bus as it wont affect anything on system and i can use the potential when overclocking it...???

but after installaion or RAM and everything else..im going to OC it..and maybe going to upgrade the cpu near future

Memory
  • 2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory
    * Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Support for DDR3 1333(O.C.)1066/800 MHz memory modules

(Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)
8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 would be a good place for that board and cost around $40. Seeing how you have a 64-bit OS, you are good to go with more than 4GB of memory. :)

Actually there is not a model in that newegg search list I wouldn't recommend. I have never had memory issues much less with any specific brand. Memory is not like HDD's, there are no mechanical aspects that can go wrong. This increases the quality of merchandise for all brands.

As far as recommendations, the only thing I can suggest is to go by the memory support list posted on the manufacturers website.

it is a fixed thing right..it wont change even after OC..am i right?
I'm not sure if CAS latency is a fixed value (I need to do more research myself). Either way I do know memory with a lower CAS latency, even after an over-clock will still be faster memory.

I'm not 100 percent sure faster is the best word for it really. The speed is a measurement of its frequency, e.g. 1600MHz from what I understand.

My understanding of the CAS rating is the lower it is the more stable it remains both generally and when overclocked. Though I'll happily be corrected if I'm wrong.

I'm not 100 percent sure faster is the best word for it really. The speed is a measurement of its frequency, e.g. 1600MHz from what I understand.

My understanding of the CAS rating is the lower it is the more stable it remains both generally and when overclocked. Though I'll happily be corrected if I'm wrong.
Even though RAM modules operate at the same frequency, lower latency ratings has less lag between fetches. This allows for the next memory request sooner than it would at a higher latency rate.

Like you though my knowledge on the topic is sketchy and I could be wrong.

Back