Confusing Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, before you ask, yes I have searched this, but I'm really tired and I just want to make sure I have it right. I have two routers, a belkin 54g and one of those new belkin N router thingies, I don't think it really matters, anyway... I want to...scratch that...need to connect them together to hook up a music server for a job I am doing. The cable modem is in the garage, and the belkin N router is upstairs. From what I've read, I should connect the belkin 54g first to the cable modem, turn off the firewall in the 54g, then connect the belkin N router to the 54g using a straight cable, going from one of the 1-4 outs of the 54g to the WAN port??? of the belkin N? using a straight cable (I hope). I should also disable the DHPC on the belkin N so that only the 54g is assigning the addresses. And I have to assign the belkin N an address outside of the 54g's DHPC range. Correct? I can't put the belkin N first because it needs to stay upstairs. Don't even suggest it please. ALso, how do I disable the wireless on the 54g, because it is not needed. Will the wireless on the belkin N still work? On top of all of that, I need to run a cable from the 54g in the garage to a switch behind all of the equipment, will the switch still work? I need to hook 2 or 3 things up to it. And no I can't just run them to the 54g because there is only one ethernet cord left to run to the equipment. So...should this work?? Any suggestions to make it work easier? I tried hooking the switch to the output from the modem then hooking both routers up to that, but only the belkin N router works. I don't know why. Please let me know what I can do. Thanks.

~~~wireless signal ---- for media server and etc..

Belkin 54G Wireless Router have DHCP disabled and then turn on Access Point
| cat 5e patch cord
5/8 port switch
| cat 5e patch cord
Belkin N/G Wireless Router
| cat 5e patch cord
cable modem
| coax cable
Internet feed from cable company

Where is the cablemodem is that in the basement or garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back