Confusing problem upgrading from inbuilt graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, new here and shamelessly in need of help ;)

Problem is this, my brother has an Athlon system with onboard graphics, he really wanted to get GTA SA, so we had a look inside his case, and found he had an AGP slot (handy)

I recently got a new card myself, and have a GF2mx and a GF4ti4200 going spare, his AGP slot was brown (make up your own jokes...) so i thought we'd try the GF2mx. This worked fine, the Mboard automatically recognised it, i loaded the 77.72 drivers and all was good.

He played for a bit, but as you expect the FPS in GTA wasnt great, so we tried the GF4ti4200, which refused to work at all,

we then put the GF2mx back, no joy. Even if we leave the AGP slot empty, we get no signal from the onboard graphics (which i would have expected to kick back in) If he leaves the GF2 in, it boots and we get a signal, but it will not start windows (even in safe mode)

Now we are both confused and a bit pissed off, could it be a driver issue? I thought both the GF2 & GF4 use the same drivers.

Any help would be appreciated from those with higher knowledge. Cheers.

System specs:
Athlon XP3000+
768mb Ram
120gb HDD
Windows XP Home.
Dodgy onboard graphics or GF2 ;)

Can't help you with the Geforce cards, but check the BIOS settings to make sure the integrated graphics has re-enabled itself -- it may still be disabled.

Thnks for reply, ive been looking at the GF drivers, and apparantly they are backwards compatable.

Where would i look in the bios to find details of the onboard graphics? (i know it would help if i had the mobo make, but i dont) ive had a look, and i cant see anything. Where is it usually located (advanced chipset? integrated peripherals?)

Cheers for ya help so far.

Try looking in the 'Integrated Peripherals' section, that sound the most appropriate for integrated graphics. Sorry I can't be more sure about this but my mobo doesn't have integrated graphics so there's no BIOS entry for it.

You were powering your system down and unplugging it from the wall prior to swapping those cards in and out, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back