Confusing repair issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am working on a PC and am having a problem. It was told to me that mid game playing the sims someone ejected the game, the PC would display errors when restarted, BSOD errors, I changed the video card, the monitor, harddrive, and the problem persists. I am now seeing windows can't start errors, registry missing, unexpected I/O errors. Oh, and here is the best part, the hard drive from that PC works in another PC but the harddrive from the other PC get the same errors in the PC I am trying to repair. I am hoping someone has a little info on what the problem may be.

Thank you for your time

You don't mention changing the RAM, run memtest. If it comes up clean, try a different power supply.

Hi again. I am freaking out here. I have changed the MOBO, the memory, the power supply, the cd drive is hooked up by analog audio cable and the computer doesn't see (the only way I could hook it up to this MOBO.). I tried setting it as the first boot device but it is not there. Iam getting the windows didn't start normally screen. When I choose a number for let's say safe mode it goes through lines of whatever then it restarts. What am I missing here?

Start hitting F8 before the XP loading screen then select 'disable automatic restarts'. What error do you get?

Boot iainssues ag

Hi,I believe this is the PC from purgatory. Now when I start it, it immediately goes to a screen saying it is verifying DMI pool data, then, I get disk read error. Could the CPU be causing these problems? I changed practically everything here. I have never had a hard time like this. Thank you for more of your time.

What does it do with the hard drive disconnected?

Test the hard drive with Seatools and see whether it passes the long test. An even better thing to do would be to put in a brand new hard drive and see what happens. I/O errors sounds like a faulty HDD, possibly even a cable. I'm ruling disk controller out because this is a different motherboard.

Okay. When I disconnect the hard drive I get disk boot failure. When it is connected I get read disc error, also, since this mobo does not have ide hookup for cdrw it is connected by audio analog, system does not see it, I even had the system boot from the hard drive, no dice, still disk read error. Now, here is the kicker, the hard drive in question works in another computer flawlessly. Is this at all related to the CPU?

I doubt the CPU is at fault.

It seems that the hard drive is OK if it works in another computer, or if this is a new hard drive to that computer then you may have a chipset conflict with the drive.

I've had a computer not start because of a bad keyboard. The computer in question has a motherboard that kills PS2 keyboards in a few months, so any time I have a problem with the computer it's usually time to change keyboards.

Try changing keyboards and see what happens.

Okay. When I disconnect the hard drive I get disk boot failure. When it is connected I get read disc error, also, since this mobo does not have ide hookup for cdrw it is connected by audio analog, system does not see it, I even had the system boot from the hard drive, no dice, still disk read error. Now, here is the kicker, the hard drive in question works in another computer flawlessly. Is this at all related to the CPU?

The CDRW won't work, all you've hooked up is audio output, there's no data input/output (the IDE cable).

Surely the motherboard has 1 IDE port? I've not come across a motherboard that doesn't have at least one, yet.

As Cinders mentioned earlier, CPUs rarely fail.

Can you give me the make and model of the parts you're using?

Motherboard
Hard drive
CDRW
Power supply and rating
Memory
Processor

You haven't confirmed that you've tested the hard drive using Seatools or the memory with Memtest.

I just discovered something. When I press the delete button during start up and change a few things around such as the cut off temp and the boot order when I return the values were not saved even thaough I did F10 and yes.

The machine in question has an EliteGroup MOBO.Samsung 80GB 7200 Ultra DMA HDD. Memorex 52X CDRW. The power Supply is Bestec, 250W. 512MB pc3200 DDR SDRAM. AMD Sempron 1.8GHZ processor. The person who owns this machine is as confused as the machine sounds. Oh, I should also mention that what stated this whole thing is I was told she was playing sims and her son ejected the disc while the game was in play, ever since the computer has not worked no video just BSOD about possible hard or software issue being the cause. I tried replacing video card but to no avail. It has escalated from there, then she came by with new mobo. Also, there are two (2) IDE connectors on mobo 1 is for HDD and the other is for FDD.

This is a link to a page with picture and specs for mobo.

You will see no IDE for CDRW.

http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboard...9_7-33240793.html?tag=productPages;cnetReview

Put the hard drive and the CDRW on the same bus. Hard drive set as master, CDRW slave.

Also, bestec power supplies are cheap and nasty, 250w isn't much power either.

I'd put something of better quality into it and see if that doesn't cure some of the problems. Poor power supplies are notorious for causing random BSODs and all sorts of issues, I've had three cases of this, within a week.

Put the hard drive and the CDRW on the same bus. Hard drive set as master, CDRW slave.

I'd put something of better quality into it and see if that doesn't cure some of the problems. Poor power supplies are notorious for causing random BSODs and all sorts of issues, I've had three cases of this, within a week.

Wow. In one week, nasty. Thank you. I will get on it.

Hey there. I tried the HDD and CDRW on the same bus and it worked, however, while loading the OS, I received this message on a screen that had blue lines running across. Windows Boot Manager. Windows failed to start A recent hard or software change may be the cause. Some other stuff, then, File\Windows\System32\Configsystem. Status 0xc0000001. Windows failed because the system registry file is missing or corrupt. I haven't gotten the power supply yet, will get it possibly tonight or in the morning. Does this sound like it could really be power supply? Just making sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back