Confuzzled Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so this is my very first computer that I've been trying to put together. I just recently got all the parts I needed ((took me a while to save up money)) and yeah.

At first I installed everything and the motherboard didnt work ((the light didnt come on)). So I took everything out and hooked up the motherboard to the power supply and the light came on. I slowly installed everything back into the case checking after each part was replaced inside the case and the light came on.. I pressed the power button after the cables were hooked up from my ATX case into my motherboard and it seemed as if everything flickered on for a split second and then off. So I'm guessing my power supply is just being protective and something isnt hooked up correctly. The CPU and cooler appear to be connected properly. My video card is installed correctly aswell as my cd-rom drive, RAM, and hard drive are all connected properly aswell. I have 6 case fans. that are also installed. I took out all of the wires from the Power On button from the front of my case and replugged them back into the control panel section of my motherboard but nothing changed.

My system spects are an A7n8x-x motherboard. CPU of amd 2600, arctic 5 thermal greese, Zalman 7000B-Cu LED cpu fan, FX 5500 video card, 40 GB hard drive.

I've been reading about the ASUS A7n8X-x motherboard in many different forums and it appears this is a common problem. I've come to the conclusion that everything else is working fine... but I'm guessing there is a problem with the power on button... and Im' sure sure about anything else. I'm rather confused as this is my first computer to be built from the ground up........ If you have questions about this system and the way things are hooked up I'd be glad to answer the questions... Please help this stupid newbie. **sigh**

:hotouch:

3 quick questions:

1. Do you have two connections going from your PSU to your motherboard (I believe your board requires two, I could be wrong but check your manual if you are unsure)

2. What exactly happens when you push the power button. Are any fans spinning? Any beeps?

3. Give us the details of your PSU. Make/model and rated watts.

4. Give us the details of your ram. How many sticks, of what speed?

Oops. that was 4 questions. :stickout:

1)) actually i think it only requires one.

2)) the fans start up for like a split second and then it stops again. i cant tell if anything else is running because its not on long enough but with the fan on the video card started spinning too so im guessing it was working.

3)) my PSU is an ATX switching power supply ((450W)) AC input: 115v/230V 10A/6 A 60/50 Hz ((what does all tha mean anyways??)) and if you need more info ill give it.

4)) RAM: 2 Kingston sticks of 512 MB PC 3200 184 Pin DIMM (KVR500X64C3A/512)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Forgive me if this sound dumb, but you did use the standoffs between your case and the mobo didn`t you?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

holy poop. i feel like a complete dumb ****. wow no you dont sound dumb but i must be one ignorant newbie. my case didnt come with stand offs so i had no idea what you were talking about until i looked online.

im hoping i didnt hurt my motherboard... but it seemed as if the whole reason my computer wasnt working was because something was shorting out... ahhh. well. now i know.

eeeeek. i guess newbies learn from their mistakes. ill try adding stand offs and seeing if it'll work.

*smacks head*

Hey, no worries mate.

We all have to learn sometime.

Don`t feel bad. I`m sure we have all made simple mistakes. I know I have.

Regards and good luck Howard :) :)

hehe thank yous. ill see about buying those standoff screws tommarrow. and hopefully my motherboard will be okay. **crossss fingers**
:bounce:

*tear*

Well I managed to install the screws and the motherboard back into the case.. I flipped the power switch and the light on the motherboard came on... yet when I hit the power button on my ATX case................ nothing happend. Not even a flicker.

*tear* I've worked so hard on getting the money saved up to buy these parts so I could build my own computer from the ground up and learn more about how computer realllllly work. so far I have learned very very much but now I'm guessing I need a new motherboard.. *sigh* then again.. I don't think spending money should really be the problem... after all.... I plan to upgrade as days go by.

Thanx for all your help though. it is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back