Connect directly to another computer option is grayed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhk890419

I was trying to make a direct connection between my 2 computers using this method (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305621) but on my laptop, the option for "connect directly to another computer" is grayed out. How do I enable this? I enabled network file sharing option but the button is still grayed out.

You need a cross-over network cable (I always get this confused !)
Then just run NetSetup (you can also create a floppy network install disk with this method)

What's a NetSetup and how do I run it? BTW, my desktop computer's "connect directly to another computer" option isn't grayed out even though I don't have a cross-over network cable.

If the computers are connecting to a hub or router or external mobroadband modem, they need "patch" cables"

If the computers are connected directly together, they need a cross-over ethernet network cable (you'll need to purchase this)

Then go to the first computer (even though the network icon is not doing anything) and click on Start-->Run-->Netsetup

You can also create a floppy disk from this method

Then go to the other computer and do the same thing (or ideally run it from the floppy)

Restart when it asks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back