Connected amplifier to the pc with 4 speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have connected an amplifier to the pc, with 4 speakers, 2 in front of me and 2 behind me. But the sound of the 2 before me is much louder than those behind.
I have no dolby surround, and my amplifier doesn't support volume control per speaker. Does anyone know what to do?
Maybe it can be done by a util on the computer or something....

thanks in advance

Steven

Are they the exact same speakers? If the back ones are of lesser quality you will definately get less volume out of them. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

It all depends on the spl {sound pressure level} of your speakers. I.E An average pair of speakers usually has an spl about 89 db at 1 watt 1 metre. If your front speakers have a higher spl than your rear speakers then for any given wattage they will sound louder. Therefore a pair of speakers with an spl of say 92db would be approximately twice as loud at a given wattage than a pair of speakers at 89db. This is because an increase of 3db per speaker which is 6db overall more or less doubles the spl. Try swapping your front and rear speakers around and see if that makes any difference. Also make sure that your speakers are in phase which means that if you are using cable that is say red and black make sure that each pair of speakers are connected exactly the same way I.E red to the positive terminal and black to the negative. Regards Howard :grinthumb

thanks for the reply :), but the speakers i have behind me are much bigger then those before me, and won't fit on my desk.
Maybe the cables are the problem, because i have cut a cable for the speakers behind me, and it wasnt a cable really designed for speakers. the cable colours weren't red and white, just white.

Steven

Might I suggest that you use proper speaker cable it doesn`t have to be overly expensive also it will have a phasing mark down one side of the cable which as I said needs to go to the positive terminals of your speakers and your amplifier. In the meantime you can check the phase of your speakers in this way. Play a sound source that is in mono not stereo. listen to each set of speakers seperately making sure you are positioned mid way between them. If your speakers are in phase then the sound will appear to come from a central point inbetween them. If they are out of phase then the sound will appear to come from everywhere and you wont be able to get a central audio image. If it appears to you that a pair of speakers are out of phase then all you need to do is swap the connection of one speaker around but only one. I.E swap the positive and negative around. Regards Howard:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back