Connected to the internet, pages won't display, tried several things

By blueknight
Jan 22, 2005
  1. My wife's computer, Presario 1200 upgraded from windows 98 to XP, will not dipslay web pages. I have updated to SP2 and the computer uses IE6. It is connected to the internet. It does display my start page when I first connect, but then if you try to go to a different page, or refresh the start page, it comes up with "page not found",

Her computer had a series of viruses, Download.Trojan, Spybot, Sasser, that I removed. The problem started after the viruses were removed. I have tried several of the fixes recommended on your boards. I have installed and used Ad-ware, Microsoft's new Antispyware, Spyware Doctor. They each picked up and fixed several spyware & adware.

One last clue, I noticed a couple of times that when I would try to go to a web page the searching for message at the bottom of the screen would have and added an extra net or com to the address.

I am at a loss what to do next. I have attached the HJT. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Boot in Safe Mode

UNinstall this piece of M$-beta-crap, the virus-writers and script-kiddies are already after it:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe

press ctrl-alt-del, go in Taskmanager. Try and STOP the following processes:

Run HJT on its own and let it 'fix':
    Running processes:
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL =
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Security Agent Manager] mssams.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Security Agent Manager] mssams.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows Media Player] msams.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Security Agent Manager] mssams.exe
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) -

Delete the bold files. When a directory is also bold, delete everything in it, including that directory itself.
  3. lordx

lordx TS Rookie Posts: 33

Read the hijack.log again.
    Delete in the registry everything related to
    and the .dll's related to this
    Also delete the folder X:\program files\messenger(look where is located msn messenger) and instal new msn messenger from the internet.

Note that not all antyspy software over the internet are safe!!!!!Most of them are programmed by the spyers,hackers.....Use Spybot search and destroy
    Check also the registry for the Internet explores home page and see if something wrong
    Note that sometimes is very hard to find the problem 'cause the spy software is trying to activate itself from backups even if u delete them and a clean instal of operating system is almost the single step to get rid of good programmed spyware
  4. blueknight

blueknight TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, I give it a try and report back!
  5. blueknight

blueknight TS Rookie Topic Starter

It worked! Thanks for the help!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.