Connecting a Casting device through a firewall

Hello,

So I work at a school that wants to use casting devices to display Google Slides, all of which are accessed through the Google domain of the school. The concept is pretty simple, we connect our Android MK809iii mini-pc dongles to the web, download Google Slides, and publish the slides to the TVs.

Our issue however is authenticating the dongles to the school's wifi. While the device can pick up both the unsecured student network and the staff's network, I can't get the dongle to the authentication page to connect it to the wifi completely. I think maybe taking the device to my own home, and downloading the Chrome browser may work since the devices default browser wont work. However, if I can get any insight into this from some one else it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Make/Model?? I think it's an issue of the firewall control of inbound ports

NEVER remove a firewall - - we configure to allow specific in-bound ports. Let me chk the specs on this device....

Google Slides is but a variation of Powerpoint presentations.

I assume you can share files from the School.Domain server?

"While the device can pick up both the unsecured student network and the staff's network, I can't get the dongle to the authentication page to connect it to the wifi completely."​

Do you imply the dongle can not access a password protected WiFI ssid? I've seen this one before...

Google Slides is but a variation of Powerpoint presentations.

I assume you can share files from the School.Domain server?

"While the device can pick up both the unsecured student network and the staff's network, I can't get the dongle to the authentication page to connect it to the wifi completely."​

Do you imply the dongle can not access a password protected WiFI ssid? I've seen this one before...
Yeah, for example, if we were to do this on a laptop, a person can be connected to the wifi, but if they open a browser, it'll still keep them off the internet. Usually they get redirected to an authentication page which asks for credentials. With the Mini-PC, this authentication page does not show up. :(

I understand :sigh: Had this same issue with my HDTV and a dongle. I didn't buy the brand specific device (too expensive) so got a generic. Ended up with your symptom :( The doc for the TV clearly demo'd the login dialogue - - the dialog had to com from (1) the TV or (2) the dongle. TV didn't require wifi so it didn't. The generic dongle was a passthru device and left the dialogue to the remote end.

I reached the conclusion that the only way a wifi dongle would work would be to use the brand specific, overly expensive device.

So, I wired the Ethernet to the TV and the Network Config on the tv was sufficient to get it working :)

Can you wire the TV-Ethernet?

IMO, yes. The TV Setup->Networking and AUTO ought to be sufficient

Back