Connecting a VCR to PC for video capture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am trying to hook my VCR to my computer to record some VHS video to digital. I have hooked up my vcr to my pc like instructed and I cannot get my computer to recognize it. Heres what I've done:

Hook the video out (on the VCR) from a composite video connector to a s-video adapter into my ATI Radeon 9800XT. I then ensure the VCR is on and then turn my PC on. According to the manual that is all I need to do, however when I open windows movie maker or adobe premier when I look for the video capture device it says <none>.

Do I have to hook the VCR to a TV to get this to work? Or can I just hook the vcr up and use my original monitor to do the work? I need some advice please!

System specs:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Asus A7N8X-E deluxe MB
1G of 3200 Corsair RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256 Video
Sound Blaster Platinum 5.1
2 WD 100GB hard drive in a RAID 0 array

Thanks for any help

Boyd

Are you SURE that card has video in? I know it has s-video out.... but I don't think it comes with video in.... could be wrong.

Wait, so does that mean that I cannot take video from a vhs tape and put it on my pc?

That would mean that i could only hook up a tv or a vcr but send video to it and not from it?

I think you may be right but I am not sure what exactly that means.

Thanks for your reply.

You'll want to check your user's manual (or go to the makers website) and confirm, but I am pretty sure the 9800XT does not have video in.

You have s-video out, and this means that you can use your TV as a monitor (for watching movies) for example, but you can not capture video on your computer with that card. You need to by a video capture card specifically for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back