TechSpot

Connecting HP Deskjet 810C with USB

By PSLog
Aug 24, 2003
  1. When I connect a DeskJet 810C to my Win XP Pro computer using a USB cable I get "USB Device not recognised".
    The USB ports are OK because I can connect either a Mouse or FlashDisk to each.
    The USB cable and Printer are OK because I can connect to another machine OK.
    What's the first step to Troubleshoot this?

Mark

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Have you installed the drivers for the printer yet? Many USB printers require you to install the drivers first. Some will tell you to connect the USB cable at a specific point during the install. Others may require you to connect it, then install drivers. Check the manual and follow the install instructions for the printer, many printers don't like it if you don't set them up EXACTLY according to instructions.

3. PSLog

PSLog TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

Just to make sure, I run the unistall from the HP810C CD and rebooted.
    I then plugged in the printer, with the CD inserted (as per the instructions.

It seems that it is not even getting as far as loading the drivers because I immediately get the "USB Device not recognised" message.

4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

XP pro has the drivers for the HP 810C in its driver database. I have one hooked to a XP machine and it recognizes and loads the drivers.. your problem is either with the printer of with your USB.

do you have the usb 2.0 drivers for your mobo installed? and have you hooked up the printer directly or thru a USB hub?

5. PSLog

The computer supplier told me USB 2.0 had been enabled - how do I tell?

When I expand the USB Controllers node of Device manager I get
    Intel 8280 1EB USB Universal Host controller - 24D2
    another for - 24D4
    another for - 24D7
    another for - 24DE
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller
    Unknown Device
    and then 5 entries saying USB Root Hub

Does this help?

6. iss

Did you receive a disk with the computer that contained the drivers for the mobo? if you did the usb 2.0 drivers should be on that disk. if it is an intel disk they have a update feature included on your disk and it will tell you if USB 2.0 is installed.

in fact I would say that USB 2.0 is NOT installed since if it were you would have an entry that says.
    "USB 2.0 Root Hub" under the Universal serial bus controllers category in device manager.

7. iss

BTW does your install of XP have service pack 1? the USB 2.0 support in XP is in SP1.

8. PSLog

Yes my install is SP1 of XP Pro.
    I have done what instructed to enable USB 2.0
    BUT
    SiSoft Sandra still reports USB1.10
    I don't know if this is correct, but can find no native Windows way of reporting the USB version

9. iss

yuor board has usb 1.1 AND 2.0 ports. from what you showed of what device manager says the USB 2.0 root hub is not functioning.

you list your board as an 865 is it an intel board or asus etc. whichever it is you should go to the manufacturers site and download the USB 2.0 drivers.

you can also take a look on this site

http://www.usbman.com/winxpusbguide.htm

10. PSLog

The board is Intel.
    The link that you provided seems to have conflicting information saying, on the one hand "the latest USB2.0 driver for XP is available at ..." but then "the only way to get the latest USB driver is to download SP1" When I asked the MS Update site to scan for updates needed, it didn't come up with a USB driver.
    My about box confirms that I have SP1 loaded.
    The instructions from Intel to enable USB 2.0 was to go to the properties page of each USB device and go "Update Driver"
    I have done all that. (Would I need to have the XP CD in for this to work?)
    It may be true that I don't have USB 2.0 working - but is that the critical issue? Remember that a mouse or a FlashDisk both work in the same port. The printer is 1999 and so should be quite happy with USB 1.10.
    Or have I missed something here?

11. iss

could just be the printer. I have installed my 810C HP on two different XP machines and in both cases it was recognized and the drivers were automatically installed.

12. iss

have you tried unistalling the "unknown deivice" in device manager and rebooting and see it windows recognizes it?

13. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

14. iss

I never said that the printer required USB 2.0. but I have seen some usb devices(usb1.1) not work properly when the USB 2.0 drivers were not installed.

15. ToRN

ToRN TS Rookie Posts: 189

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.