TechSpot

connecting my vcr to my computer

By cmac
Aug 6, 2004
  1. i have picked up cables for the sound and video for the connections for vcr to computer (yellow rca to s-video and red and white rca to headphone jack) but when i go to play a movie i only get the sound but no video playing through my moniter. Are there any settings that i can change to allow me to see the video properly.

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,357   +283

I'm not sure what hardware you have since you didn't fill your profile yet *hint* but are you sure you have a video in capable card? Is it possible your card only has video out and you're connecting to that instead?

3. cmac

cmac TS Rookie Topic Starter

well my video card is a geforce 4 MX 440 and that may be the problem but how can i know if it is a video out or in?

4. LNCPapa

A standard GeForce 4 MX 440 does not support video in. That's your problem :( If the card supported it then it would be plastered on the box - because it's not a typical feature found on most cards.

5. cmac

i see. well is there any way that i can connect my vcr to my computer still

6. LNCPapa

Not that I can think of without purchasing some sort of card that takes the video in. A card with this capability would usually include the acronym TIVO or VIVO. However, a little workaround if you have BOTH a firewire port on your computer and a digital camcorder..... You can record your videos to miniDV or Digital-8 then use the digital camcorder to pull them over to the PC via firewire. Keep in mind that if you do a direct DV dump your video will amount to 13 gig/hour and still only have VHS quality or less.

7. cmac

thanks for all the help. it turns out theres nothing that i can do at this time to do what i want so im returning my new vcr and 50 bucks worth of cords. il get quite a bit of money back from all this and might just buy doom 3 ;)

8. LNCPapa

That sounds like a plan - but keep in mind that you are at the very bottom of the video card recommendation so it may not play great - but it should play okay.

9. Brighter Hell

Brighter Hell TS Rookie Posts: 61

I too have been trying to capture video from VHS, except with a Sapphire 9600 XT card. I just assumed all video cards with video-out were capable of video-in. Today I learned what VIVO is - d'oh! Seeing as I just want a copy of the tape, I guess I'll just use the old-fashioned put-two-VCRs-together method. Man it's been a while since I've bought a blank VHS tape!

10. randysz

randysz TS Rookie

I have a GeForce FX 5200 and I was wondering... it is possible to connect it to my VCR is it not? if so, then I'll have a 27" Flat Screen monitor, with 18 speaker surround sound, so please tell me it is.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.