connecting my vcr to my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmac

i have picked up cables for the sound and video for the connections for vcr to computer (yellow rca to s-video and red and white rca to headphone jack) but when i go to play a movie i only get the sound but no video playing through my moniter. Are there any settings that i can change to allow me to see the video properly.

I'm not sure what hardware you have since you didn't fill your profile yet *hint* but are you sure you have a video in capable card? Is it possible your card only has video out and you're connecting to that instead?

well my video card is a geforce 4 MX 440 and that may be the problem but how can i know if it is a video out or in?

A standard GeForce 4 MX 440 does not support video in. That's your problem :( If the card supported it then it would be plastered on the box - because it's not a typical feature found on most cards.

Not that I can think of without purchasing some sort of card that takes the video in. A card with this capability would usually include the acronym TIVO or VIVO. However, a little workaround if you have BOTH a firewire port on your computer and a digital camcorder..... You can record your videos to miniDV or Digital-8 then use the digital camcorder to pull them over to the PC via firewire. Keep in mind that if you do a direct DV dump your video will amount to 13 gig/hour and still only have VHS quality or less.

thanks for all the help. it turns out theres nothing that i can do at this time to do what i want so im returning my new vcr and 50 bucks worth of cords. il get quite a bit of money back from all this and might just buy doom 3 ;)

That sounds like a plan - but keep in mind that you are at the very bottom of the video card recommendation so it may not play great - but it should play okay.

I too have been trying to capture video from VHS, except with a Sapphire 9600 XT card. I just assumed all video cards with video-out were capable of video-in. Today I learned what VIVO is - d'oh! Seeing as I just want a copy of the tape, I guess I'll just use the old-fashioned put-two-VCRs-together method. Man it's been a while since I've bought a blank VHS tape!

I have a GeForce FX 5200 and I was wondering... it is possible to connect it to my VCR is it not? if so, then I'll have a 27" Flat Screen monitor, with 18 speaker surround sound, so please tell me it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back