TechSpot

Connecting to internet over network

By nascar12
Jan 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have 3 computers on my network one that can connect to the internet. The other 2 cant connect to the internet but when the "host" computer is connected the other 2 can use the connection. What i want is to be able to connect from any of the computers at any given time. All 3 computers have xp pro and my isp is people pc.
  2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Welcome to Techspot !
    You do not describe the hardware layout of your network, but it sounds like you need a router .The sharing server in a simple connection share network has to stay on.
  3. nascar12

nascar12 TS Rookie Topic Starter

My network layout

COMP 1 W/ internet -----------Network Hub---------------Comp 2
    Comp 3 ---------------------------^
  4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

5. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

If you want to connect from any of the clients in your system at any time , then you need to set up a Lan . eg. DSL modem > router>Clients.
    I thought this is what you wanted .In your setup the other 2 clients can only access the Web when the Server is on and it is connected.
  6. MrDJ009

MrDJ009 TS Rookie Posts: 78

Avoid ICS, use a router.

There are many experts who feel that using Microsofts ICS, while technically feasible, is a very bad idea. There are some huge security issues when ICS is used as a substitute for a router. One author, Paul Thurrott, has a really good book called Windows XP Home Networking which devotes a chapter to how to set up ICS. He then devotes a couple of pages to a section called “ICS: Why You Should Never Do This”.

Conclusion: Use a hardware router, they are very inexpensive. You can even keep your hub by simply uplinking one port to the router.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.