Connecting to Internet without OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connecting to VPN without OS?

Is there anyway we use VPN without using an Operating Systems?

We are looking for an 'out of band' solution that can establish a VPN connection outside of the Windows OS. Such a solution would either provide a pre-OS boot utility that would establish a VPN connection (before Windows loads) or be an external device (i.e. PCMCIA) that acts as an hardware VPN client. Our current design uses an SSL VPN to encrypt data.

In theory, yes of course. In practice, not really.

Also, I have a feeling that you just don't know how to ask the question here. Maybe explain your problem in more detail, five sentences or more.

we are looking for an 'out of band' solution that can establish a VPN connection outside of the Windows OS. Such a solution would either provide a pre-OS boot utility that would establish a VPN connection (before Windows loads) or be an external device (i.e. PCMCIA) that acts as an hardware VPN client. Our current design uses an SSL VPN to encrypt data.

thehitman said:
we are looking for an 'out of band' solution that can establish a VPN connection outside of the Windows OS. Such a solution would either provide a pre-OS boot utility that would establish a VPN connection (before Windows loads)
Very similar to the old MBR Virus in getting control before the OS does.
What is your objective for this out-of-band solution that can't wait for the OS to load?

Uhm.. And what would be the use of this pre-OS VPN client?

Anyway, why not get a home router with VPN support or a dedicated VPN appliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back