Connecting to Router - Won't receive packets, but connects to SSID!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

This is my first time posting, so please forgive me if I am not descriptive enough!

What I am dealing with: Netgear router, Netgear wireless 108 card. Directly connected computer and wireless computer use Windows XP.

I have a Netgear WPN824V2 router that I am trying to set up. I was able to set up a SSID and password and even connect to the SSID...but for some reason, my wireless computer would send packets, but not receive any!

I tried messing around with settings like setting my DNS and IP address to be detected automatically for both the computer that's connected directly to the router and the computer that's wirelessly receiving an internet connection. I even did stuff like ipconfig/reset and ipconfig/renew. Nothing happened. On all those times, the connection registered as "EXCELLENT," but I couldn't load any webpages! Even moved the wireless card to another PCI slot to see if it was busted. Also uploaded newest firmware into the router from Netgear website. No luck there either!

The funny part is that I previously bought another Netgear router, and tried setting it up. Had the same problem. Packets being sent, but none being received.

Back at my old apartment a year ago, the connection ran flawlessly with my older linksys router and the same wireless card. But at that time, I got help from Netgear customer assistance, and I was running off of Roadrunner Cable at that time. This time, I am using SBC DSL.

Please help me! I am willing to go from the very first step since I am afraid that my setup itself might be wrong.

Oh and another thing to note is that even though my DSL modem is connected to my router, and my "directly connected" computer is connected to the router, I can't access the internet with the directly connected computer.

Please help me!

OK. One step at a time.

First. Don't even bother with wireless if the wired connection doesn't work. You have obviously made a mistake somewhere and there's no point in adding another layer of complexity.

Does your wired computer receive an IP address from the router and can you access the router setup page from there? If yes, then you messed up something in the router WAN setup.

Did you put in the DSL username and password correctly? Maybe your ISP requires some special settings? It would be a good idea to give them a call and ask.

Once you have the wired computer up and running with internet access and all, move on to wireless.

Set up the wifi with no password at first and make sure it works. Only then turn on WEP encryption. If the WEP works OK, switch to WPA. If that works OK, switch to WPA2.

Solved the problem...and I didn't need any IP addies!

Turns out that ADSL ISP (at least SBC's) requires that my connected computer log on with the account username/pw which I created when I first signed up with SBC. This leads to my needing to log in both pieces of information into my router when setting it up. Son of a gun!

Well...that's another useless piece of information I've picked up! Oh well!

Thanks for the tip though. I'll be visiting this forum for other needs later on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back