Connection Errors Abound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I've had some issues the last couple of days with my network connection. I'm running a SMC Barricade 4-port router hooked up to an XP machine, a Win98 machine, and a Linux laptop. The XP machine, when it boots, does not get an internet connection. I have found that in the past I could disable and re-enable the connections in the Network Settings box and get my connection back, but this does not always work. I now find that the Network Bridge will give me a Cable Unplugged Error upon trying to repair or enable it, and I don't even use the bridge.

I'll be happy to provide any other information I can, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or knows what I can do to fix it?

You may find it of advantage to you when you disable DHCP in all your PC's and give them a fixed IP in the range of 192.169.1.2 to 192.168.1.10. In all PC's set the default gateway to the IP of your router (192,168.1.1) and use the same IP for the first DNS-server. You can leave the second DNS empty.
In your router, change the settings to reflect your router's IP = 192.168.1.1 and enable DHCP. In the WAN-part enter your ISP's IP and DNS-IP's
You may have to modify software-firewall settings, if you have one.
The issue you have now, may mostly happen when the W98 or laptop is switched on before XP.

"Does not get an internet connection" means? It says "network cable in unplugged"? You can't access the internet? You can't create a connection to your ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back