Connects to Internet,disconnects soon after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinodkumar

My dear friends

I am using a Windows XP Pro system. I use to connect to the internet with dial-up connection. Recently, my connection started showing a strange behaviour. I can connect to the internet, but after a few seconds of establishing the connection the system automatically disconnects from the internet and prompts to redial. When I redial it connects again but disconnects too. The same thing repeats whenever I try to connect to the internet. I checked the settings, but everything was right (I didn't change them either).

What could be the reason for this problem? Could anyone help me solve it, please?

Regards.

Vinod

Mostly this kind of problem is caused by bad connection, usually every ISP has more than 1 phone number for their customers to connect to the internet, maybe the phone number you were using was busy, try to connect again using the other numbers. If you don't know the other numbers, call your ISP and ask for another number you can use to connect to the internet.

It's not a matter of bad connexion, I think. I used the same settings and the same phone line on a Windows 2000 system and it was working fine!

Vinod

Did u use the same phone cable and modem to connect to the internet with ur Windows 2000 system? If so then the problem is in ur system.

If u haven't made any changes to the system, the only possible source is a virus/trojan infection. Please refer to the security section to check whether ur system got infected wih something.

If u want to bypass all the trouble, try reinstalling windows. With nowadays machine, reinstalling windows, softwares, and setting up is only a couple hours long, and u'll get a new installation of windows.

I used the same cable and modem in the same room for the Win 2000 sys which worked fine.

I think I must agree with your opinion that it is possibly a virus (or a spyware). I have Norton Antivirus 2005 and Spyware Doctor installed on the system, both of which I update everytime I connect to the internet. I ran both, but they didn't find any infections!

Vinod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back