Conroe heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielb

I hate it lol. How do i confirm its on properly? all the plastic clips are through. Are the black plastic things on top purely to release them again?

Bios says idle is 39c
Program "core temp" says idel 49c with 60c after 25miutes dvdshrink!

No idea whcih is accurate temperature or even if heatsink is on perfectly.

Those temps are high. I've had problems with the stock heatsink and fan too, not to mention how loud that beast is when the fan gets above about 3300rpm.

If you are using the stock thermal pad thing that came on the heatsink you may have damaged it if you didn't get the heatsink on on the first try. You should try and get ahold of some thermal paste (preferably some artic silver) and put that on after you carefully scrape the pad off.

If you still can't get the temps down I've heard great things about the Scythe Ninja. But its huge: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article251-page1.html

worst designed way of fixing heatsink on ever lol I messed with it so much it probably is sealed badly. Thats the very heatsink i had my eye on for future overclocking. I think ill get that and some grease. As for the stock fan its never gone above 1000rpm yet its silent.

Thanks. Anyone else had probs?

While those temperatures are not dangerous, they are higher than average for a Conroe core CPU. As SNGX mentioned, if the stock thermal pad didn't make contact just right it's all a waste.

Have a more immediate problem now. my new galaxy gt7600 fan keeps cutting out, so im using a 4mb standard pci card at the moment lol. Ordered a zalman one.

Is it normal for the fan to not work when the cpu first turns on? does the fan cut in at a certain temperature. My room was freezing this morning i was wondering if that was the reason.

Its a bios setting, I forget what its called, but it should have been disabled by default. But yes it can be set to not spin the cpu fan until the temperature is above a certain point (one my asus k8ne deluxe the lowest you can set the fan to come on at is 35C). Then you can also set a temp that when it gets above that point the fan spins at max speed.

I have a conroe and am very happy with the heatsink and hsf, it seems to be excactly the same as a salman one I saw the other day...

I havnt used any arctic silver or anything, just the pad which does the job just fine. Just luck of the draw it seems. Btw, I havnt tested temps yet, but will do that tomorrow.

Regards,

Korrupt

Got somw artic silver now.

For anyone buying a galaxy 7600gt the zalman vf700-alcu doesn't fit squarely, i had to file a few millimetres off the heatsink because a capacitor prevents it sitting parrell. Temperature was idling at 56c and went up to 80c+. filed and with artic ice its idles at 42c and tops out at 61c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back