Consistent 0x24 during XP boot, no recovery - solution via Ubuntu?

Hello all,

Problem
Recently I have been getting 0x24 freezes at bootup (at XP logo), whether booting into Safe Mode, Last known settings, or Normally. I'm aware this points to HDD failure/driver of some kind, but the drive itself seems to be working fine. I dual boot into Linux and mount the Windows partition of the same HDD, and can see and access all files just fine.

I do have an original XP disc but when I try to enter the Recovery Console or go for the XP new install option, it hangs prematurely at the "Examining 158123 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi..." Thus I cannot do an XP recovery console nor chkdsk, which is what most forums seem to be recommending. I wish I could run chkdsk /r, but I can't reach a command line, and as far as I know this cannot be virtually run (easily) from Linux.

By the way, I have let MemTest do a few passes on my RAM and it seems to be OK. I'm fairly confident this is a non-issue.

Relevant specs
Dual boot Ubuntu(Hedghog)/Windows XP, SP3
Maxtor 160gb HDD
~3 years old

My questions for you all: how can I get to a command line to run chkdsk when I essentially can't boot to HDD nor XP CD? As this seems to be a spontaneous onset of BSOD on an otherwise healthy computer, what are the chances of this being a hardware failure? What Ubuntu utilities can be used to fix a Windows partition on the same HDD?

Thanks!

Replace the hard drive and save the old drive to try recovering data with it set as a second drive. Can you boot from the XP install disc? If you can, you can format or attempt to format the hard drive there

Yes, replacing the drive is always an option (but the last one :(). As I mentioned, I cannot boot to the XP CD because it freezes up after selecting any option.

Update: I have run MemTest longer with no errors, as well as TestDisk and Smartmontools to check my HDD. Nothing came up with any errors or the slightest indication that the HDD has failed. I'm thinking it must just have to do with the Windows registry or boot headers.

Does anyone know if it's possible to run WINE under Ubuntu to run Windows chkdsk that way?

"I cannot boot to the XP CD because it freezes up after selecting any option"... Any option being selecting, deleting, or formatting a partition? If so, the hard drive is bad

Update:
After not being able to boot with the XP CD, I ended up backing up all my data from both partitions and formatting using Linux boot CD. The hard drive seems to be working fine now, so what I think it was was something with the boot headers or disk partition tables. Thanks TMagic; problem seems to have been solved with the format.

Back