Constant Aquiring with jumpy signal strength...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there everyone, before I start on this I'll let you know im not a complete boon with computers, but not a full on techy with them...I have a Belkin Rangemax Wireless Router with a Telewest/Virgin connection. The PC im currently on uses the Netgear USB adapter using a WEP-PSK(TKIP) key. The PC im currently on is fine and never fails to connect, sometimes it needs abit of jiggering with the usb card...however after coming home from Uni where my my other pc (pc2 for this post) I cannot get the thing to connect. For PC2 i use a cable and wireless802.11g(MiMO) usb card. I've tried bringing PC2 closer to the router as my signal strength goes from excellent to disconnected to normal to excellent and over and over...constantly aquiring netowkr adress....I have also tried to install the netgear software and use that usb adapter for it but to no avail.

However i did turn pc2 on upstairs (its also about 25feet away from it aswell as being upstairs) on one day and it did connect but only once and i didnt intend for that to happen or expect it to. I've tried searching online for answers but can't seem to find any for my problem. Can anyone help me with this problem because I will hail you a God if someone can. Thankyou so much for reading this essay and your help.

many thanks, a stressed and annoyed jpxx!

theres me tryin to give as much info as poss on the matter...no both are pc's...pc2 is a P Dual Core XP w/Service Pack 2 and it worked everyday at uni with the wireless we had there which was located even further from the router...both are pc's not laptops and more of my haier has been ripped out...and yes I have tried installing the Netgear software but to no avail!

Need to measure your signal strenght in your place and see what areas you have are weak. There is a software from www.passmark.com called wireless mon it's not free but you can try it out for 30 days, but I like it because you can pin down what's going on with it's radar scope. In you case look at he router and see if has any errors in the wireless packet logs.

If hardware devices are acting up. remove device un-install the driver, reboot the PC install the driver then connect the hardware. Make sure nothing is running in the background when you're doing this on the pc in question.

Network Stumbler also has Strength and Signal-to-Noise Ratios :)

...The PC im currently on is fine and never fails to connect, sometimes it needs abit of jiggering with the usb card... ...
This should never be the case. If you can 'jigger' the card and change the symptom,
then you have a hardware issue, perhaps even on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back