TechSpot

Constant beeps on Bios change

By Dragis
Oct 28, 2009
  1. Occasionally while playing WoW, my computer crashes. I've considered that it might be a goofy memory problem, so I was going to run a memchecker.
    Upon changing my bios so that my CD drive loads first (part of running memcheck) and restarting, my internal speaker makes continual beeps with a black screen. Upon resetting my CMOS, everything boots fine.

Upon further attempts, I have found that changing ANYTHING beyond the default short-out settings, even changing my bios to "default optimal settings", causes this failure. I have -absolutely- no idea why this is...unless my battery has gone dead and trying to load non-defaults is making the baord cranky or something? Any ideas?

My loadout:

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6700
    - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
    -Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V
    -Foxconn MARS motherboard
    - EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI

Running XP SP3 32 bit

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Does the clock in Windows show the correct date and time, even after you unplug the computer from the wall for a night?

3. Dragis

Dragis TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah, it does. Which I suppose means it isn't a problem with the onboard battery.

Also, I've used Fox's utility to get the latest firmware upgrades for the board. Same result. =S

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.