contant annoying msg in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser

okay, lately I've been getting this message a lot now

bleh.gif

and

suck.jpg

I get this message sometimes when I install a program: usually when I 2x click the install.exe, sometimes when I 2x click a program, it gives me that, when I was running my antivirus program, it gave me that. It used to happen rarely, but now its just getting plain annoying. Can anyone shine some light on this subject and help me remove this problem?

btw, in case anyone wants to know my specs they are

1.3ghz althlon
msi kt7 turbo motherboard
5.1 sound blaster
geforce 3 agp 64mb
512mb ram

I guess thats all that needs to be known...

appriciate to whoever can help..

edited by LNCPapa

It "could" be a setting in your BIOS, check in your computers BIOS for a setting called something like System BIOS Cacheable...make sure its disabled, if its enabled it can cause errors to happen quite frequently... And make sure you have PNP OS enabled

I'd say that this is an application bug, but since it happens with many programs..

You may have a virus or your Windows kernel is messed up somehow. It could be memory corruption too, but then you'd get a variety of different errors. Are you overclocking?

Only low-level software would want to access 0x001C and no sane program would write to 0xFFFF1F7E, that's almost the 4GB limit. I assume you are not using that much pagefile.

You may want to run one of these online virus scanners.

Reinstalling Windows (not clean nessecarily) can't harm either.

Originally posted by Nodsu

Reinstalling Windows (not clean nessecarily) can't harm either.

What will that solve? Reinstalling Windows is fine if it is the only way to fix it but it doesn't help if it ever happens again.

Are these files, self extracting WinRar packages? I've heard of similar problems with files packed with WinRar.

well, I went ahead and changed the bios setting like vassil3427 said. I haven't ran into any of those msg YET. Although it may take some time to acually run into it again.

Like when I tried to install Kazza lite, after I installed it, when I tried to run kazza lite, it gave me that msg, at that time I had a internet explorer window open, when I closed it, I tried to run Kazza lite again and it started up that time. I am really getting a lot of wtf moments here...

but I may need to replace my existing ram, I only have one stick of 512 ram on my cpu...but I am still waiting to see if I see that msg again.

so my kernal could be messed up? and reinstalling win2k wouldn't effect my files on my hdd? unless I do a clean install right?

I am not overclocking and my norton antivirus says there isn't a virus in my cpu.

and Nodsu, you said it could be the pagefile is too small? then I could I increase the pagefile usage?

btw, thanks for the really quick replies!

You hadnt posted back saying you'd run into the messages again..so did they stop coming up?:suspiciou ..I hope they did...so I can say I(and others) have successfully helped another Techspot member......

Sorry, I didn't suggest anything about the amount of memory or pagefile. I just wanted to make a point that the address referenced at one of these error messages was probably outside the memory allocated to programs and thus could only be a malfunction.

Reinstalling Windows will overwrite all core components that may have become corrupt. So if a virus or any other thing has damaged system files, it will be fixed.

Upgrading your system BIOS may be something to try also.

oh, sorry for the misunderstanding

so far nothing wrong.

I'll post in this thread again if I ever run across that msg..

thanks a lot guys :grinthumb

well, its still giving me those messages again, I download the service pack 3 for my windows 2000, but when I double click the exe to start setup, it gives me that msg again and shuts down! I can't even install it.

so it has to be my ram thats going bad.

I have had those errors before across many machines, and it is almost always due to faulty memory or memory with incorrect settings. See what your latency setting is for RAM. Also, try taking out half the memory if possible, running it for a while with that, then swapping sticks and running again.

thats the problem, I only have one stick of memory, 512mb....

and I have no other memory lying around to swap with either...

but I plan on buying new ram.

this is just great, now I am getting that message when I am trying to install, or unstall something, I can't even run most of my programs now...

I acually switched new ram with the old one and its still giving me messages?

can anyone help before I kick the crap out of my computer?

Well it's not your memory that the problem is then.

To tweak your pagefile usage, go into your System Control Panel, to the Advanced tab, and the first section is Performance something or other, go there, then down at the bottom there is a section for Virtual Memory. Post back here with the amount it lists. This is XP, so if it's different with 2k, then that's why ;)

Windows default is 768MB on your first partition, which is bad because it causes fragmentation, but that's a different matter...If this has been changed, revert it back to defaults. I doubt if this is the problem, but it could be.

Also, while you're in your System Control Panel, go over to your Hardware tab, and check out your Device Manager. If you see any !'s or ?'s then by all means, report them back here and try to fix the problem ;) Most likely one of those messages indicates an incorrect driver installation, or an IRQ conflict, which is at all possible.

Does 2k support the Recovery Console? You could try that.

If you reinstall Windows, then, as P66 would say, you will never learn!! Fixing the problem immediately and indirectly is alot less satisfactory than fixing the problem yourself, and getting your hands dirty.

And remember, if IE will no longer run because of this message, and you have no idea what to do, by all means reinstall ;) ;)

alright, here's what I got:

my pagefile for all drives is set to 768,

now I checked under device manager,

dmanger1.jpg

dmanger2.jpg

*sorry for the long pics, I suck at explaining things

now 4 things I noticed, first I have two standard pc's?
second the network adapter has a x on it
the other, there is a unkown device under usb devices
and last my Geforce 3 and both of the usb host controllers are both sharing the same irq...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back