Continual restarts on WinXP

vodkasoda

Hi, I am looking at a PC for a friend, it's an eMachine 610 (I think that's ASUS) & it keeps crashing on him. There are hundreds of MiniDumps, literally. I think it's a video card problem but am not 100% sure and don't want to tell him to buy a new card if there is another underlying problem !!!

I set it to NOT reboot on a problem, but it doesn't give me a BSOD it just restarts ... and it takes forever to do so, eventually telling me that the system has recovered from a serious error, and this literally can take up to half an hour !!!

I have attached ten of the dumps that I got over the weekend, is somebody able to take a quick look and confirm that this is indeed a Video card problem, or else tell me what the problem is ?!?

BTW, yes, I think he needs a new PC but I can cross that bridge with him when I have confirmed this problem !!!

Attachments

• Dumps.zip
    194.2 KB · Views: 1
Does it do this after a certain amount of time or during specific functions (gaming, heavy load, etc)?

Does it do this in safe mode?

Does it do this after a certain amount of time or during specific functions (gaming, heavy load, etc)?

Does it do this in safe mode?

There's no real pattern, I had it running all day on Friday (or Saturday, can't remember which) with no problems, but I wasn't stressing it, just running SIW & defrags and stuff.

But the next day it was crashing all the time, sometimes when it had been sitting there for an hour or more on the desktop with me having done nothing at all since the previous boot !!!

Not tried Safe Mode, I updated it to the latest drivers so didn't see the point ...

When did this problem started to occur on this PC?

All of these dumps came up with exactly the same error 0x9C, Unknown_Image (ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE).

It can be either a (unrecoverable) hardware issue, or (though less likely) virus/malware issue.

On the hardware side following may cause this:

The following factors may cause this error message:

- System bus errors
- Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
- Cache errors in the processor or hardware
- Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
- Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
- Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

With regard to second possibility, please go to Virus and Malware Removal Forum, and go through their Updated 8 Steps and post your logs their for analysis. Regards

When did this problem started to occur on this PC?

All of these dumps came up with exactly the same error 0x9C, Unknown_Image (ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE).

It can be either a (unrecoverable) hardware issue, or (though less likely) virus/malware issue.

On the hardware side following may cause this:

The following factors may cause this error message:

- System bus errors
- Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
- Cache errors in the processor or hardware
- Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
- Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
- Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

With regard to second possibility, please go to Virus and Malware Removal Forum, and go through their Updated 8 Steps and post your logs their for analysis. Regards

Thank you, it isn't virus / malware, I'm 99.99% certain of that, as I ran about 8 different programs on the machine while I was testing it !!

It's been happening for some time, I don't know how long as I don't know how long he's had the machine, but my opinion is that it would cost so much to replace the motherboard / graphics card and upgrade the RAM to a decent amount (it's 488mb I think, at the moment) that he's be better off buying a new machine ...

That is a very appropriate conclusion; I guess he can wait for a new PC as he'll be lot more happier at the end of the day. Goodluck and let us know if you n need any further assistance. Regards

been getting the start up. wont start even if safe mode selections are choosen

will start and load the windows xp screen and then "FLASHES" a blue screen stating...

STOP: c0000218 (error in file register)
The register can't load the following part (file):
...\Systemroot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or the logbook file, or the replacing file of the part.
Is is damaged, not present, or not writable

Any way of stopping it from restarting or steps to configure this?

I would appreciate the help.

Back