Continuous Beep After Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this elsewhere and have since discovered that place was inappropriate; sorry.

Fixing an old machine, p3 phoenix bois, and it boots with a single beep, and seems fine until it initialises the keyboard. What transpires i can only describe as an angry successive beeping that develops into a seemingly continuous beep. The background is bizare, at least as far as i understand it, a client brought in 2 machines, the first had swolen caps on the board, which we replaced, and ran successfully for some time. However, the keyboard began to stutter with beeps after post and after re aligning the pins also worked fine. Subsequently, the client brought the first back, the keyboard had begun beeping again, only with more intensity and irregularity, simmilar to a stuck key but more erratic. I sent the client away with a new keyboard and success. However, the client returned again, reporting that the beeps had begun again 4 or 5 days later. Again I replaced the keyboard with, and no beeps. Subsequently the client brought in a second machine reporting that the first had persisted with its beeping issue, and that he had chosen to use another machine at his disposal. As it turns out the second computer had the same issue, solved at least initially with the replacement of the keyboard. The problem still persists however, and seems to have gradually worsend over time. In both cases the same original keyboard may have been used by the client, in the case of the first machine the keyboard must be plugged in for the beeps to insue, however the second has no such compunction and beeps right after the post in increasing frequency without a keyboard. When booted with keyboard, the beeps are not as frequent. I would love an explanation if possible, although i am not sure that there is any solution beyond motherboard replacement and keyboard destruction. Thanks
Edit/Delete Message

You sure this client isn't messing with you and has somehow caused this? Are there any *.bat files or something similar that have some code in them to cause this? I guess last but not least, is this an error code that the bios is throwing you due to heat problems or something of the sort.

Just seems a little suspicious.

It is possible that the client has caused this, i wont assume he hasnt, yet the beeping is completely bizzare, i am not sure that a batch file could affect the keyboard controller either, and it is not a post code, the machine appears to start fine, however the 'infection' seems to have spread either via a hdd, which i think is unlikely, or a keyboard, a faulty one. all in all im stumped. thanks for the reply tho, any further info would be appreciated.

Machine 1: Pentuim 3, 600, 128 dimm ram pc133, award bios, gigabyte motherboard, 32mb geforce riva tnt 2, 20 gig c: and a 10 gig slave, ac97 onboard sound, realtek, via chipset.
Machine 2: also Pentium 3, 900, 192mb dimm ram pc133, pheonix bois, asus motherboard, onboard graphics, sis 8mb shared, 30 gig hdd, onboard sound, also realtek i think and also via.

Both Machines running xp home sp1, machine 1, had no internet access, no access to any malicious software, machine 2, access to internet, windows firewall, avg antivirus and ms anti-spyware, avg up to date ms anti-spyware not. More?

Thanks

I take it you cant boot to windows on either machine?
If you could boot to windows with the machine that is internet equipped you could run an online scan, say at trend-micro to see if indeed there is any virus\trojan\malware.
However, seems like you cant boot to windows?

I dont fully understand the situation, so pardon me if i am off base. I dont even think you need bios info, but here is some anyway. Just in case you catch some beep code info that might help you out:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/BIOS.htm
beep codes - you have to join but its free and great site!
http://techrepublic.com.com/5138-1035-729200.html
beep codes - free
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1223
all kinds of bios info:
http://www.wimsbios.com/

Another possibility is whatever the problem is may have caused the power supply to need resetting.
Turn power supply off at the back of the pc and remove the power cord, now press and hold the pc's power on/off button for one minute. This is with the motherboard connected to the power supply. Thats all for a ps re-set.

Also check and make sure power is set at 110 and not 220? You never know!
One last item: double check all other connectors as something else may be connected wrong and it appears to me a keyboard issue but really something else.

Finally, have you tried a bios re-set on these machines? Im sure you have but best to ask. Then again, maybe you cant get that far? Thats what i mean when i say i cant fully understand the situation, i dont know if you can boot up or not, seems not?

Thanks a lot for the responses

Unfortanately i cant boot either machine into windows, so using houscall or some other scan engine is not possible, either way this issue is not caused by the hdd, or any other peripheral device.

Yesterday i unpluged and rerigged everything in machine 2, replacing the ps, though i had not thought of resetting it as you suggested. Before I finished putting it back together, I booted it with the motherboard only, and the issue persisted, so i dont see anything else being the root of the problem or how to fix it i think the board is now scrap since i have no way to flash the bois. I have reset the cmos, using the jumpers on the board but that did not solve the problem.

Another thing, an interest thing, the controlers on the keyboards i had replaced also seem to be faulty, none of them work properly and produce stuck key beeps when pressing a key, these i tested on a separate testing machine i have set up, p3 celeron.

Thanks for all the effort and your replies, but i think i will scrap these machines and put together a new one for the client using uncomprimised hardware. Do you know where the keyboad is controlled on the board?

One possible scenario. If both machines were on the same property, a brownout came along and nailed the mobo on both machines. That would explain putting anything into a ps2 port on either mobo and not having it work. In many areas of the country the power being supplied is of poor quality, much poorer than it should be and the public is generally not made aware of this as it should be.

As well, there could even be a continuing problem with the power at that location.

Another thing, my theory is strengthened when you pointed out that there were bad caps on one mobo as bad caps can be caused by brownout or surge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back