Control Panel Gone - Question Before I Attempt Cleaning My System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a number of malware / viruses, etc that installed all at once. One of them is the one that tries to sell me virus software...shows the yellow yield sign in the system tray. They are now somewhat under control, but are still there and before I go through a detailed cleaning I have a question. The viruses did several things...turned off my system restore, removed my control panel from the start menu, give me a permissions errors when I attempt to make any system changes (clock, video settings, add / remove programs).

Error reads: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please see your system administrator.

If I log in as the administrator the control panel comes back and I can make changes, however, resetting the permissions for my normal user account (which is also an administrator) does no good....it still can't make any system changes.

My question is, if I am successful at getting the viruses removed, will I be able to set my user account settings back to where they were and will the control panel be accessible again?

HJT log attached.

Thanks

In regards to your question:

After following all the preliminary instructions here:
Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions
You may have all these problems resolved.

But you could create a new user (administrator) account once all is cleaned, to be fully safe (afterwards ofcourse)

Creating a new account does have its draw backs too.
eg if you installed Norton (as an example) on one account, you may not be able to uninstall on another.
Also, your program or game settings may become void (including registrations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back