Converse about online degrees etc...

Vigilante

Just a vague and general question.

I've been thinking about an online degree. Or perhaps any online class, degree or otherwise, just online learning, if you will.

Wondering what your thoughts are. Pros and cons of online learning. What might be good schools to look in to, if you know any? What kind of prices might I expect? Is it a good idea? Do businesses cater more to campus learning over online? Given the choice.
Just anything you can think of, personal experience or word of mouth from someone who's done it.

Courses I'm considering range a lot of subjects. Anything from art (as in, hand drawn), to digital graphics, to animation, to other types of computer stuff. But also things like business management, financial adviser or other financial studies. Things relating to real estate and investing.
Also generic "good-to-have" programs like applied computer science or something that just looks good on a resume.

Naturally, if I like one of those classes, probably a cheap and short one to start, I would take more.
Local college is out, I just don't like our local colleges, and 50+ work week in computers just shuts your brain down for going to class. I've always been better at self-study, with online resources and books and hands-on learning. I don't do so hot with instructor-lead lectures for example.

Somehow I feel online classes would be good for me, especially if it's a study-when-you-want kind of class. And not the kind where they make you have to attend at a specific time every night. Which defeats the purpose of learn at home leisure.

Anyway, I've said to much already. What are your opinions and thoughts?

I've had a lot of experience. I finished my Bachelor's online and I'm working on my masters online now.

You have to be very disciplined and willing to self-study. Like any other classes there are good and bad professors.

IF you're a visual person, perhaps online isn't the way to go. If you can understand concepts well and follow along with texts and fellow students, then online is great. Online is great because it gives you enormous flexibility. On the other hand, you lose some learning methods such as seeing a professor solve a problem out on a board.

Group projects can also be difficult online. On my masters level every class I have had so far has had a group project.

Online degrees work very well when the subject is highly structured and the syllabus is very clear cut.

Online format also eliminates a lot of the "fluff" with traditional classes. You get right to the subject matter.

feel free to ask other questions.

I agree. Online can be very effective for some, but requires alot of work from your part. If your willing to put in the effort its well worth it.

@ Tedster you mind posting a link to the site you've used.

Ya I'd like to know about any good online schools. Cause I don't think just a random google search will get me all the best schools. And yet, my wallet probably can't get the best anyway. So not sure where to start looking.

Would it be better to go for an ALL online school, as in, that is their sole purpose? Or go for a university with a campus, which also has online classes? I think my nearest, Arizona State University, has online classes. Would it be better to do that? Or does it matter if they have a campus or not?

I'd like a college with a name, not like, "Joe Shmucks Garage Learning Center!" You know? Somebody that has been around for a while and has some respect.

Lastly, I have some credit hours from my local college, it would be good if those could be used somehow.

Thanks, any more info about online college in general is most welcome.

It's not enough just to KNOW this stuff anymore, now I have to pay thousands of dollars to get a piece of paper that TELLS me I know it. To land the good jobs :)

Back