TechSpot

Converting .ape files to mp3

By Crossbow Europe
Feb 22, 2006
  1. Hi! Just entered this forum. New "in town". I 've downloaded a winRAR-file, unpacked it, and there were some 10 .ape files there. I want to convert that music to a CD. How do I do that?

2. DaProffessaT34

DaProffessaT34 TS Rookie Posts: 50

3. Crossbow Europe

Crossbow Europe TS Rookie Topic Starter

Need more help, I'm afraid!:)

Got the message. I've downloaded the program, but when I want to find the .ape files, the system come up with the message that it can't find MP3 files, which of course is right. Where do I go wrong?

4. Crossbow Europe

Hi sent you some emails. Seems like the program isn't working like I hoped. Maybe I misunderstand the program?

5. DaProffessaT34

I don't have the program installed, but i can still help you out. Take me step by step on what you did, but if I understood you correctly the file wouldnt open?

6. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 136

A lot of software that will handle the APE to MP3 function equal shareware.
    dBpowerAmp Music Converter 11.5 will give you a 30 day trial ($14 to buy).

7. DaProffessaT34

well there are free ones they are just hard to find, but i know some.

8. seanp789

seanp789 TS Enthusiast Posts: 113

APE = lossless audio
    mp3 = compressed lossy audio

If you want to make a CD, you dont want to go APE->MP3->CD you will lose quality in the process.

you want to go APE->WAV->CD or just APE->CD

goto http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

The program that creates APE files has a built in decompressor as well and will give you the original CD files that were compressed. No loss!

winamp also has a WAV diskwriter output , but i recommend you use the monkeysaudio above.

9. Crossbow Europe

Got two ansvers that gave the solution. The both said the same thing: You don't go from ape via MP3 to CD, you go either ape to WAW and then to CD, or directly, the also set me to http://www.monkeysaudio.com, where the solution was found. Thanks a lot, both of you!! :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.