TechSpot

Converting .ape files to mp3

By Crossbow Europe
Feb 22, 2006
  1. Hi! Just entered this forum. New "in town". I 've downloaded a winRAR-file, unpacked it, and there were some 10 .ape files there. I want to convert that music to a CD. How do I do that?

2. DaProffessaT34

DaProffessaT34 TS Rookie Posts: 39

3. Crossbow Europe

Crossbow Europe TS Rookie Topic Starter

Need more help, I'm afraid!:)

Got the message. I've downloaded the program, but when I want to find the .ape files, the system come up with the message that it can't find MP3 files, which of course is right. Where do I go wrong?

4. Crossbow Europe

Hi sent you some emails. Seems like the program isn't working like I hoped. Maybe I misunderstand the program?

5. DaProffessaT34

I don't have the program installed, but i can still help you out. Take me step by step on what you did, but if I understood you correctly the file wouldnt open?

6. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 126

A lot of software that will handle the APE to MP3 function equal shareware.
    dBpowerAmp Music Converter 11.5 will give you a 30 day trial ($14 to buy).

7. DaProffessaT34

well there are free ones they are just hard to find, but i know some.

8. seanp789

seanp789 TS Enthusiast Posts: 111

APE = lossless audio
    mp3 = compressed lossy audio

If you want to make a CD, you dont want to go APE->MP3->CD you will lose quality in the process.

you want to go APE->WAV->CD or just APE->CD

goto http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

The program that creates APE files has a built in decompressor as well and will give you the original CD files that were compressed. No loss!

winamp also has a WAV diskwriter output , but i recommend you use the monkeysaudio above.

9. Crossbow Europe

Got two ansvers that gave the solution. The both said the same thing: You don't go from ape via MP3 to CD, you go either ape to WAW and then to CD, or directly, the also set me to http://www.monkeysaudio.com, where the solution was found. Thanks a lot, both of you!! :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.