Converting avi to dvd readable format - stuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitzyglamgirl

hello, im a little stuck on soemthing ive previously had no problems with - im trying to take a home movie in .avi format and put it onto disc to watch on a dvd player. The dvd player i have states it can recognise cd-r and cd-rw in divx format, so i converted it and it wont play. Ive looked through the operating instructions for the dvd player and it says it plays "DivX video files of format conforming to ISO 9660 Level 1/Level 2, or its extended format Joliet". Im guessing where ive gone wrong is that it doeant conform to this format, so how do I convert an avi to this format?

Many thanks x

ISO 9660 Level 1/Level 2, or its extended format Joliet are not formats for the video file, these are specifications that deal with the burning process. This really shouldn't have any affect on your video.

What did you use to convert your .avi to Divx? What format is the .avi file in originally?

You may find some additional help at www.videohelp.com

ah ok, so im completely off course lol

the orignal format is .avi, thats all i know im afraid, it plays on my pc ok but i tried burning it in the orginal format first and that didnt work, so i then tried converting it to DivX using a program called "DivX" - im not really helping much am i!

I'll have a look at the link youve given me now, thank you for that x

You can download (for free) a program called gSpot. It will tell you what format any video file is in. It may be that your dvd player doesn't like the disk. Mine used to play dual layer dvd disks I burned, but recently it quit doing that. So it may be your player thats the problem.

Thanks for that, i really do need to know what the format is so that will come in very handy.

this will make you laugh - I thought i was really clever lastnight and found a converter that sounded like it would work - so after an hour of converting I then realised I hadnt selected the format to convert to and had converted it to the default format which wasnt what i wanted, so gave up and went out instead

I'll try again tonight *rolls eyes at self*

ok using that gspot it seems the file is in XviD - am i really thick or is that the same as DivX - my heads going to explode lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back