TechSpot

Converting Back To FAT32

By Cucumber
Jul 10, 2002
  1. Hey....i have a n00b of a friend, who installed Win2000 Pro, and then for some reason decided he didnt like it...dont ask:confused:
    ....anyways, when installing he converted to NTFS!:rolleyes: And, now he cant Format C:, or convert back to FAT32...how could he go about doing this?

Laters

Cucumber

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,626   +320

run fdisk in dos mode from a boot floppy. delete non dos partition. then create primary dos partition. restart. format c:

3. Cucumber

Cucumber TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 203

Thanks:grinthumb thats wat i told him to do yesterday, but i wasnt 100% sure it would work! Phew:rolleyes:

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

no matter what file systems you use on a hard drive, they can be removed, the drive returned to an unformatted state, and then reformatted with some other file system.

5. Tweakster

Tweakster TS Rookie Posts: 224

So what is a file system? I hear that the location of info on a disk is contained on the inside of the disk. So where is disk file system and how does it work, do all disk automatically mount and are compressed that why newer file systems are more efficant ?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.