TechSpot

Converting Quake III: Team Arena demos to .mpg

By Vehementi
Mar 3, 2002
  1. This can either be a gaming or a video question, but to me it was more video...

I'm trying to convert my Quake 3 Team Arena demos to something I can play on a normal media player, like a .mpg or .avi file. I wanted to make a VCD out of them so I can showcase the effectiveness of the railgun at close range. Are there any programs that will convert them? Can I just rename them to something else? It would really be great if I could :D

2. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

The demo files just contain positional info & aren't played back like videos.
    I don't know "what" you need to get to do it but I do know there's some java application you can download that will allow you to record it to a movie file. could always ask at http://voodooextreme.com/reverend/ what he used if http://goggle.com can't find it.

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,356   +283

4. Ravellidar

Ravellidar TS Rookie Posts: 34

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

6. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 830

I haven't seen a program that does this, so please post if you find it. However, this will work if you have the right equipment. If you have a video card with TV out, hook your TV up and play the demo. While the demo is playing, you'll need to record it with a VCR. Then using a video capture card/software, record the video from the VCR to your harddrive in avi/mpeg format.

I haven't done this myself, and I would assume that visual quality will be degraded, but it should work.

7. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

yes, google.com I meant

8. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

Try using HyperCAM to record the demo whilst it is playing. A free trial can be downloaded.

Failing that u will have to take the video signal out and then back in to your PC using a TV Out card, and Video capture card.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.