Cooler Master focusing on brand identity with slick new cases

Scorpus

Staff member

I stopped at the Cooler Master booth at Computex 2014 to get a tour of the latest products, and pretty soon I was being whisked away to a private room where they had some of their upcoming products on show. Unfortunately there was a strict no photography policy in the room, but I did get to see where Cooler Master is headed in the future.

Cooler Master no longer wants to be the company associated with aggressive gaming-style PC cases (as seen above), instead looking towards producing a range of more slick, stylish and sensible enclosures. Some of the prototype designs I saw in their VIP room looked fantastic, making great use of minimalist aluminium panels, and it's a shame I can't show you what some of them looked like.

The company will still sell cases with a typical gaming-oriented look going forward, but they're looking towards establishing their brand in the more premium case market, where you can find slick designs from Corsair, Lian Li, Antec and others. And from what I saw, Cooler Master will have some seriously compelling products on the market in the near future, still with their signature cooling performance.

cooler master psu computex power supply cases computex 2014

In the same room as Cooler Master's upcoming cases, they were also showing off a prototype power supply with a remote monitoring application. The Digital 1200 PSU, which is 80 Plus Titanium rated and capable of 1200W of output, comes with a remote app that you can open on your smartphone during gaming sessions, allowing you to monitor power usage and associated costs.

The PSU is still being worked on, so there's no word on when Cooler Master will release it to the public, but there are some exciting things to look forward to from the company.

Permalink to story.

I honestly cannot for the life of me see why you'd want a 1200W psu with a smartphone monitoring app.

Of all the people that buy computers, the ones that buy a psu over 850W is already a VERY small percentage.
Also IF you end up wasting a ton of money on this, you'll look at the smartphone app for a day or two and then get bored with it.

Honestly The PC industry needs to stop focusing on the 1% top of the line insane products and focus on releasing mid of the way products that work, doesn't cost a fortune and uses less power.

I haven't noticed a real difference in the "prettiness" of games in the last 4-5 years and yet there has been a new video card released every 6 months to a year and every new game runs at <10 fps on a video card thats 1 year old.

I honestly cannot for the life of me see why you'd want a 1200W psu with a smartphone monitoring app.

Of all the people that buy computers, the ones that buy a psu over 850W is already a VERY small percentage.
Also IF you end up wasting a ton of money on this, you'll look at the smartphone app for a day or two and then get bored with it.

Honestly The PC industry needs to stop focusing on the 1% top of the line insane products and focus on releasing mid of the way products that work, doesn't cost a fortune and uses less power.

I haven't noticed a real difference in the "prettiness" of games in the last 4-5 years and yet there has been a new video card released every 6 months to a year and every new game runs at <10 fps on a video card thats 1 year old.
It's all about marketing and while there are some nice top tier products, they're mostly irrelevant to 99.9% of us. It's got more to do with willy waving and sucking the consumer in. It's worked since time in memorial so there's no reason to think it'll change anytime soon.
That said the remaining 0.1% is still a reasonable chunk of human flesh who are willing cough up.

Last edited:

It's all about marketing and while there are some nice top tier products, they're mostly irrelevant to 99.9% of us. It's got more to do with willy waving and sucking the consumer in. It's worked since time in memorial so there's no reason to think it'll change anytime soon.
That said the remaining 0.1% is still a reasonable chunk of human flesh who are willing cough up.

Yes, it's all about marketing. The idea isn't to really sell a ton of those overpriced top-end gimmicky products, the idea is to get people to say 'Oh yeah, I should buy a Cooler Master PSU. They're the ones who make that really awesome one with the smartphone app!' Many companies do this... it's why car companies will have some unpractical futuristic-looking prototype at an auto show.

DAAAAAMMMNNNN Those are some sexy cases! Cant wait to check out all their new stuff!
Those aren't their new cases, just some modded stuff. I don't know why the author didn't slink about with his Google glasses snapping shots in the hopes no one would notice. Yeah right, Google glasses are as subtle as a honeymoon erection.

It implies the cases above are what coolermaster does now- what case is that first one? or am I just confused

Shame you weren't wearing Google glASS to take some unappreciated shots.

Who cares about privacy? Just whack on your glASSes. Or Whack off with them on.

Maxwell GPUs are more powerful and less energy consuming, as we seen with the 700 series Maxwell card. I honestly think the smartphone app is something, that many consumers might want. Not the app specificly, but something like it. So you could monitor at a glance, how power hungry some things are. Without the need for various other methods, which could or could not be as accurate. Since it's coming from the PSU itself, it should know what the power consumption is.

That was something I wanted, in a general PSU and not something on the extreme end. Because you often also want to know, if say your PSU is getting a bit old too. Not everyone has the pocket change, to drop on a replacement if things take a turn for the worse. I'd like to add one thing, which is it's general health. Since down the line (a few years of constant 24/7 activity), you might want to know if it's headed for the scrap pile or not. I might be the only one with that kind of a wish though.

In the same room as Cooler Master's upcoming cases, they were also showing off a prototype power supply with a remote monitoring application. The Digital 1200 PSU, which is 80 Plus Titanium rated and capable of 1200W of output, comes with a remote app that you can open on your smartphone during gaming sessions, allowing you to monitor power usage and associated costs.
This is completely absurd, stupidly ridiculous, to the point of being felonious.

I mean really, what would you do if your "smart phone", tells you you're using a lot of power in the middle of a game? Would you shoot less, crawl under a rock and hide until you think the electric bill is safe? Maybe just suicidally walk in front of a laser cannon when you realize you can't afford to play any longer?

Here's something, just buy a smaller PSU, along with using a lower CPU clock speed, and 2nd tier graphic card. You won't be able to brag as hard about your rig in our modding forum, but think of all the money you'll save. Unless you really enjoy or need a smart phone to tell you what to do. In which case pax vobiscum.

Shame you weren't wearing Google glASS to take some unappreciated shots.

Who cares about privacy? Just whack on your glASSes. Or Whack off with them on.
Just think, maybe you'll be able to buy Google Glass bifocals! That way, when you look down, you'll think you're having way more fun than you actually are

Maxwell GPUs are more powerful and less energy consuming, as we seen with the 700 series Maxwell card. I honestly think the smartphone app is something, that many consumers might want. Not the app specificly, but something like it. So you could monitor at a glance, how power hungry some things are. Without the need for various other methods, which could or could not be as accurate. Since it's coming from the PSU itself, it should know what the power consumption is.

That was something I wanted, in a general PSU and not something on the extreme end. Because you often also want to know, if say your PSU is getting a bit old too. Not everyone has the pocket change, to drop on a replacement if things take a turn for the worse. I'd like to add one thing, which is it's general health. Since down the line (a few years of constant 24/7 activity), you might want to know if it's headed for the scrap pile or not. I might be the only one with that kind of a wish though.

http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html

They cost a fraction of a 10million watt PSU with fancy gimmicky nonsense on it and you can measure anything you can plug into a wall socket with that.

Back