Cooler Master unveils the MasterLiquid Maker 92, a compact AIO liquid cooler

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Once reserved for hardcore enthusiasts, liquid cooling is quite common these days thanks to the continued refinement of self-contained, or all-in-one, kits. The one major knock of such kits is that they require a decent amount of real estate as the external radiator needs to be mounted to a preexisting exhaust fan port for optimal performance.

Cooler Master’s latest CPU cooler eliminates this potential constraint by integrating the CPU block, pump, radiator and two 92mm fans into a single module that’s no bigger than a standard tower-style air-cooled heatsink.

At 167.5mm tall (6.6 inches), the MasterLiquid Maker 92 is rather tall and may not fit in all cases. As a workaround, the radiator and fan assembly can be rotated from a vertical to horizontal position for installation in a shallow system or to better align with your overall case cooling profile.

It’s certainly innovative but just how effective it’ll be at keeping your CPU cool remains to be seen.

Interestingly enough, Cooler Master is limiting the cooler to Intel LGA 2011-v3 / 2011 / 1151 / 1150 / 1155 / 1156 sockets. It’s unclear why mounting hardware isn’t being made for AMD systems. Perhaps compatibility with AMD’s upcoming Zen platform is in the works but not yet ready to announce? That’s pure speculation on my part but I digress.

The fans used on the MasterLiquid Maker 92 are rated for 49.7 CFM @ 30 dBA with a MTTF rating of 350,000 hours. The kit itself is backed by a five year warranty, we’re told.

Cooler Master will be offering a limited supply of MasterLiquid Maker 92 coolers for early bird pre-orders on August 30 on a first-come, first-serve basis (you’ll need to register to apply). No word yet on how much it’ll go for but expect it to arrive for all sometime next month.

Permalink to story.

I'm saving this for my future build! I don't care if it's ugly, but rather if it performs on par with other liquid cooling systems.

I'm saving this for my future build! I don't care if it's ugly, but rather if it performs on par with other liquid cooling systems.

It will not. It takes a bigger AIO unit to replace even a moderately good 120mm tower cpu cooler with copper heat pipes. The main purpose of water cooling is to remove all of the heat from the case. This does not do that. You are going to spend probably 3x the money for less cooling performance. Of course if looks is all you want then go for it.

For those curious, Coolermaster's website says the height in horizontal mode is "only" 118.8mm, compared to 167.5mm when in the vertical position.

Still not quite ready to go that route .... despite the noise, I think I would rather stick with an extra case fan or two rather than risk introducing any form of liquid into mine. Now, if they come up with a model using R-22 or a more modern refrigerant, I'm going to take a 2nd look ... maybe two!

Still not quite ready to go that route .... despite the noise, I think I would rather stick with an extra case fan or two rather than risk introducing any form of liquid into mine. Now, if they come up with a model using R-22 or a more modern refrigerant, I'm going to take a 2nd look ... maybe two!

Asetek did that with the VapoChill Micro back in 2005. It packed R134A, a nice big vapor chamber, and pretty decent quiet performance for the time. Problem was, you had to use the cooler in a horizontal orientation or it wouldn't... really do well at all.

I recently re-built my daughters system after her motherboard died and as the new board is matx, I used an old (but never used) matx case that has 92mm fan mounts meaning an AIO cooler was out of the question. The system is very noisy at the moment due to being on the stock cooler, so one of these would be a godsend. Her system is in the living room and is very annoying when I'm trying to hear the tv.

I recently re-built my daughters system after her motherboard died and as the new board is matx, I used an old (but never used) matx case that has 92mm fan mounts meaning an AIO cooler was out of the question. The system is very noisy at the moment due to being on the stock cooler, so one of these would be a godsend. Her system is in the living room and is very annoying when I'm trying to hear the tv.
For the money you'd spend on this cooler, you could get a more modern case that has 120mm fan mounts (about $40), and a quiet 120mm AIO like the Corsair H55 ($59). I'm thinking the Maker 92 will cost around $100 (similar to V6/V8 situation). 120mm fans are much quieter than the stock CPU fan and the 92mm case fans. I've scrapped dozens of perfectly good cases for having only 80-92mm fan mounts, because even minimal cooling with these small fans produces an annoying, high-pitched, constant whine that I'd rather avoid. The MasterLiquid Maker 92 has those same annoying 92mm fans.

If they were going for ugly, they nailed it. That said, I want to see how it performs.
I don't expect it'll perform any better than a decent 120mm tower air cooler but it'll sure be better than the stock solution and hey... it's liquid cooling, how cool is that? (pun not intended).

For the money you'd spend on this cooler, you could get a more modern case that has 120mm fan mounts (about $40), and a quiet 120mm AIO like the Corsair H55 ($59). I'm thinking the Maker 92 will cost around $100 (similar to V6/V8 situation). 120mm fans are much quieter than the stock CPU fan and the 92mm case fans. I've scrapped dozens of perfectly good cases for having only 80-92mm fan mounts, because even minimal cooling with these small fans produces an annoying, high-pitched, constant whine that I'd rather avoid. The MasterLiquid Maker 92 has those same annoying 92mm fans.

It was a matter of using what I had at hand at the time for the build, (just to stop her complaining!) but I am thinking of getting her a bitfenix prodigy m case and I do have a spare corsair h60 I can use but that has a noisy pump so I'm not sure how long it will last.

"No word yet on how much it’ll go for but expect it to arrive for all sometime next month"

guessing the registrations will heavily impact the price? kickstarter, anyone?

Back