Cooling down the computer.

By Sniperfin
Jun 1, 2006
  1. I am using CoolerXP Cooling and Speedfan.
    But I still got a problem.
    How to cool the computer down?
    My game(Renegade) crashes when it gets over something about 60 celsius.
    Any free way to cool it down?
  2. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

first off, clean the insides of your computer with an air can or something (do not use a vacuum).

Next, you might want to look into adding some fans onto your casing. The bigger the fan, the better. This will cost money, but not that much. Fans are cheap.

If the temps are still too high, you might want to loko into changing your heatsink and fan (HSF) on your CPU and GPU. This will obviously cost more money.
  3. Sniperfin

Sniperfin TS Rookie Topic Starter

Umm, you sure?(About the free thing) How about one word, Parents?
  4. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

as CMH said earlier, clean it! dust is not your PC's friend.

1. what are your system specs? CPU, mobo, video card (be as specific about each one as possible), different system configurations and components have different heat tolerances.

2. how many fans are there, are they intake or exhaust, and where are they?

3. what component does speedfan show 60c on? did you install the heatsink yourself, and if so did you use thermal paste??

4. where is your computer located? is it stuffed in a corner where air doesn't get to it?

-for a quick and free (but temporary of course) fix, remove the side panel of your case. if that alone doesn't lower your temps enough, then use a small house fan to blow cooler air towards the open side (do not put the fan right up against the case though)
  5. CMH

whoa whoa whoa....

You never remove the side panel without having something else blowing air into the case. If you want to remove the side panel, get a table fan or something blowing into the PC. If you don't, there will be no airflow, and all you get is all the hot air being stagnant, instead of moving towards your exhaust fans.

I'm assuming you're monitoring your CPU temps, cos GPU temps usually go up higher.

I'll clean the INSIDE of the comp if I were you. Get rid of any dust, especially the dust on the heatsink (do you know what that is?)
  6. Sniperfin

1. Where the hell I can read those things?
    2. 2, on the backside of computer, exhaust.
    3. Temp2, Where the hell is heatsink?
    4. In a corner.
  7. CMH

You will benefit from a few more fans. front/side fans would be intake fans, if you can put some there.

What is temp2?

Being in a corner doesn't really make a difference, I've got 3 P4 comps side by side (literaly, about 1mm apart from each other) in a corner below 2 tables, and my current CPU reading is 23 on air (never switch off my comp). But if its in the light, or there's nowhere for the heat to go (enclosed corner or something) then it might be a good idea to put it somewhere else.
  8. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +8

sorry about the thread-jacking, but out of curiosity, if your CPU temps right now are 23c on air cooling, then why would you need to water cool?
  9. CMH

I'm not watercooling THIS comp. It'll be my new, bigger comp. Besides, this comp has a crappy GC (sold my X800XT :(). New one'll sport 2 of the 2nd biggest (should be alot cheaper) GCs in SLI, and I'm OCing the whole rig, so I'm anticipating alot of heat.
  10. Sniperfin

I need a free way to cool down, you get too off-topic.
  11. CMH

Sorry, we do get too excited about good stuff.

anyway, free ways will probably mean going into your comp and cleaning it, that helps. Get all the dust out.

Moving it to a cooler place (try out of the corner, and also out of direct sunlight) helps.

Other than that, most other solutions will ask you to spend a few bucks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.