Cooling for my q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if this is the write place, but..

Hey, I'm kind of new to the whole building my own pc thing as in i've never done it before. I am interested in making a gaming pc that will put me over the top for CoD4. I have all my specs picked out on new egg as follows..

Processor - quad core Q6600-2.4 ghz

^Power Supply-combo with Rosewill RX950-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 950W Power Supply

Case-Thermaltake armor series case

Memory-Corsair 4 gb memory sdram ddr2

motherboard-ASUS SLI LGA 775 nvidia 680i atx intel motherboard

hard drive-Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

dvd burner-SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM

EVGA 8800 gt 512 mb overclocked

All I need to know is what cooling I will need if I want to overclock my processor from 2.4 ghz to 3.0 ghz.

Suggestions on different pc parts for the PERFECT gaming pc, or suggestions on what I should get for cooling will be greatly appreciated

Regards

firstly) you planning on going SLI? if not, i'd recommend the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P or the ABIT IP35-PRO (gigabyte more because it's more common for troubleshooting and whatnot.. and i love mine :)) both excellent overclockers

PSU i'd recommend a corsair HX-520 or HX-620, 620 watts is plenty, even if you're going the sli route, and comes with a 5 year warranty and excellent build quality.

if you really want to OC that 8800GT, a Zalman VF900 cooler will make it perform even more amazingly than it already does (i'm getting one soon)

and for you RAM, make sure it's 2*2gb sticks not 4*1gb, having less sticks creates less strain on the motherboard allowing for better overclocking.. also, 2*2gb is cheaper than 4*1gb :p

with that out of the way

you shouldn't need any aftermarket cooling to happily reach 3.0ghz with a Q6600, you can do that on stock.

with my Big Typhoon VX i'm on 3.5 right now, can probably go to 3.6 but whatever...

i think (don't hold me to this) that one of the best CPU HSF's is the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme... either way, most aftermarket CPU cooling solutions should get you to at least the 3.4ghz mark, a lot to the 3.6ghz mark.

*edit: please be more concise with the quote feature*

STAY THE EFF AWAY FROM ROSEWILL!!!!!

SERIOUSLY! THEY ARE A TERRIBLE BRAND!!!

whatever you do, don't go with anything that's really really cheap and claims to offer tons of performance.

i'd recommend a thermaltake, antec, or enermax psu.

link590o said:
STAY THE EFF AWAY FROM ROSEWILL!!!!!

SERIOUSLY! THEY ARE A TERRIBLE BRAND!!!

whatever you do, don't go with anything that's really really cheap and claims to offer tons of performance.

i'd recommend a thermaltake, antec, or enermax psu.

and stay away from antec unless it's a quattro, trio's suck hard.

again, Corsair HX-620, can't go wrong ;)

Yup, Corsair HX-620W or even the 580's are great. Guaranteed SLi as well. Quiet...and modular! :)
I also agree with maxbb1, get the Gigabite P35-DS3R, i have 2 of them and a P965 Ds4....err...just check my sig, lol.
They are great overclockers and great stable performers if you don't OC it.

Processor - quad core Q6600-2.4 ghz -- will overclock to 3.0

Power Supply-Corsair hx-621 620W power supply

Case-Thermaltake armor series case

Memory- OCZ Gold 2x2 4 gb memory sdram ddr2

motherboard-ASUS SLI LGA 775 nvidia 680i atx intel motherboard

hard drive-Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

EVGA 8800 gt 512 mb overclocked -- Newegg is sold out same with tigerdirect and zipzoomfly , i will either get one from Amazon or ebay.

Cooling- Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme

Optical Drive - Lite-On 20X DVD Burner

Monitor - Acer Black 20" 5ms LCD Monitor

Soundcard - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtremegamer

Speakers - Logitech R-20 12 watts

Keyboard - Logitech G11

I will be SLI'ing the 8800 gt soon enough, the overclocked gt is supposed to be almost equivalent to the 8800 gtx.. only 200 dollars cheaper..

Any help, add ons, suggestions to this list would be GREATLY appreciated thanks

forum i made perfect post on down for a few hours - reserved for reply more about RAM lol

don't bother with that soundcard unless you really really want it and are a total audiophile, onboard HD sound is perfect, especially for that speaker system (hell onboard does anything perfectly, soundcards are a waste of money and a waste of a pci/pci express slot). -- save the money and upgrade to a logitech 5.1 or 6.1 :) beats the crap out of that 2.1 lol.

20" monitor, don't go for sli, sli only efects 24"+ otherwise you're looking at 5% performance increase for 100% price increase. thats why i suggested the P35-DS3P :)

8800GT oc'd is indeed a GTX beater but go for the new 512mb 8800GTS, it beats the GT for a little more $

you'll be able to overclock that Q6600 to 3.6 or so without complaint, i can even with my inferior (Big typhoon vx) cooling :D

Ok so I will be fine with onboard sound? I will be using a headset, the speakers are just for show so im not going to upgrade those, but can you send me a link to the 8800 gts because all of these graphs and charts ive been seeing are saying the 8800 gt is the best bang for your buck, beating the gts and almost the gtx. So with the normal fans on my case and a thermalright ultra 120 i'll be good to go to overclock to even more than 3.0? I'm new to building and overclocking so yeaaa haha.

I'm just looking for 100 - 125 constant on cod4 which beats my 15 constant currently with my 1.8 ghz dual core

I'm at about 1600$ right now and I am willing to go up to 2000 if it menas my computer will rock, but I don't want a 8800 ultra

mikeyhoops10 said:
Ok so I will be fine with onboard sound? I will be using a headset, the speakers are just for show so im not going to upgrade those, but can you send me a link to the 8800 gts because all of these graphs and charts ive been seeing are saying the 8800 gt is the best bang for your buck, beating the gts and almost the gtx. So with the normal fans on my case and a thermalright ultra 120 i'll be good to go to overclock to even more than 3.0? I'm new to building and overclocking so yeaaa haha.

I'm just looking for 100 - 125 constant on cod4 which beats my 15 constant currently with my 1.8 ghz dual core

I'm at about 1600$ right now and I am willing to go up to 2000 if it menas my computer will rock, but I don't want a 8800 ultra

yes, it will be perfect.

agh, i know, it's confusing if you haven't been keeping up.. it's the 8800GTS with the same (new) core as the GT (G92, compared to the old(er) G80 core)

it goes in this order from bestt to worst:

8800GTS G92 512mb
8800GT G92 512mb
8800GTS G80 640mb
8800GTS G80 320mb

overclocking your GPU whether it is the GT or the new GTS will make is spank the GTX.. and possibly even the ultra (thats why i could suggest you get an aftermarket GPU cooler (like the Zalman VF900/VF1000))

and yes, you will definitely be able to oc past 3 ghz unles something is really wrong..

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12/10/review_nvidia_8800_gts/
for the review of the new 8800GTS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back