Core 2 Duo MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LipsOfVenom

Is nVidia's 650i chipset better than intel's 965 or 975? I don't plan on sLi, and the Asus 650 is $140 while an MSI 965 is $110.

Pretty Close

If you are not into the SLI thing then I suggest going with the P965 I have the Asus P5B Deluxe with the P965 and it runs awesome. It benchmarks just about the same in games as the 680i, the Asus Striker Extreme to tope it off :D. Basically the 680i is Nvidia's answer to a Core 2 Duo dedicated chipset along with other tweeks like triple SLI and supporting both the 1066mhz and 1333mhz FSB ( I hear the next gen Core 2 Duo line is going to have 1333mhz FSB) the currant Core 2's have a 1066 FSB.

If you plan on getting a Core 2 Duo today then I suggest the P965 as it is a lot cheaper, performs the same and is a highly prooven chipset.

Them new 680's although nice, just seem to have too much going at the same time LoL

That, and the northbridge runs very hot too. The P965 mobos are your best bets. I like the ASUS but my fav for that chipset is the GigaByte GA-965P-DS3. It has great features and has silent-pipe cooling as well.

Yeah

I hear the DS3 line gets rave reviews, but I just cant go with Gigabyte after some bad system builds back in the Socket A days.....I used them by request of some of my customers and more came DOA than worked. I actually had the DS3 in my cart when I was building my own Core 2 Duo system but couldnt hit the checkout button :D I guess they have cleaned their act up in the past 4 years though as they have gotten a lot of good press latley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back