Core 2 Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

Hey, recently I've been working on overclocking my CPU, and I noticed (both in task manager and in speed fan) that one of my cores (on my Q6600 quad core processor (65nm)) is always under an 80-90% load even when it's just idling, while the rest of the cores are under a very low load. I am running 64 bit vista. Also, it takes much longer for whichever core is under a heavier load to finish a stage (of calculations or whatever) in the multi-core prime 95 stress tester. I have closed all programs that I can, except for symantec anti-virus, which you cannot close all the way (at least to my knowledge). Is this normal? And if not, what can I do to fix it?

This is more of a Windows question, but here is a starting point:

Look into Task Manager. In the process list, look for any processes that are using up CPU cycles. That's the first place to look. If you DO see a process that is consuming large amounts of CPU time, you'll have found your culprit. If you haven't, there's a more serious issue, which could be anything from a bad driver to bad hardware. Post back here after checking it out.

All four cores should be somewhere around 1-5% @ idle. I have a Q6600 as well and I had a problem with all four cores running near 50% after I had installed new mobo drivers. The problem turned out to be the network adapter driver causing one of the "svchost" processes to hog CPU; on all four cores! Do what Soul said and check that Task Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back