Core i7-7700K & Core i5-7600K Review: Kaby Lake is boring on the desktop

Hopefully the so-called Intel "revamp" that is coming to compete with Rizen is actually something worth talking about. This is honestly a really sad update on Intel's part. It doesn't seem like the updated fab process (14nm+) over Skylake did anything.

This is a refresh. Tick-Tock-TOCK.
Not sure how anyone is surprised if you've been following this chip (Kaby) at all.

Hopefully the so-called Intel "revamp" that is coming to compete with Rizen is actually something worth talking about. This is honestly a really sad update on Intel's part. It doesn't seem like the updated fab process (14nm+) over Skylake did anything.
Are you referring to Cannon/Coffee Lake? Or the revamped x86 architecture that isn't expected to see much light until possibly 2020?

No thanks Intel, I just spent a load upgrading to a 4770K and I'm happy with it. Plenty of power for what I need. AMD can't get Ryzen out fast enough, Intel needs some pressure before they'll amp-up their game. Right now, they are just resting on their laurels of the Core architecture.

No thanks Intel, I just spent a load upgrading to a 4770K and I'm happy with it. Plenty of power for what I need. AMD can't get Ryzen out fast enough, Intel needs some pressure before they'll amp-up their game. Right now, they are just resting on their laurels of the Core architecture.
AMD can take their time with Ryzen, as far as I'm concerned. Its obvious that Intel isn't doing anything to push the envelop anymore, so it is not like AMD is chasing moving goal posts. Instead, I would rather AMD finally get a generation right, and give me a reason to go Red beyond "It isn't Blue"

Same thing for AMD vs. NVidia. I'm getting tired of NVidia's shoddy drivers as of late, and as AMD straightens out their driver scene, good chance that my next GPU will be Red instead of Green.

This is like an insult to AMD. What is the point of releasing it in the first place? Couldn't they just wait and release something much better in response to AMD when they catch up?

Ok so I am building my gaming rig this year and the first item will be GTX1080ti, next is the CPU.

So thinking I will get i7 6800K Broadwell-E, I don't have bags of money and my rigs usually last me 5 years at least.. I think 6800k is good value for money..

tks

This is like an insult to AMD. What is the point of releasing it in the first place? Couldn't they just wait and release something much better in response to AMD when they catch up?
it's for OEMs. how do you expect them to release new PCs and laptops with no new hardware in them to make them more appealing than the older ones? it's the cheapest way for them to create a new product, very little R&D investment is needed. :D

Ok so I am building my gaming rig this year and the first item will be GTX1080ti, next is the CPU.

So thinking I will get i7 6800K Broadwell-E, I don't have bags of money and my rigs usually last me 5 years at least.. I think 6800k is good value for money..

tks
Just wait for some Ryzen benchmarks and price announcements. You might be able to save a lot of money. The same with the GPU. Intel/Nvidia might lower their prices in response to Ryzen/Vega... if not then AMD may have the best bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Then... just the Motherboard got improvements but you must use Windows 10 to use a 200 series motherboard, if you are new on Intel or you have a 1st/2nd Gen i7 is better buy a 100 series motherboard if you want to get KrappyLake on Windows 7/8.1

As w/others my I7-3770 is doing just fine. Intel has lost their mojo on desktop processors, and don't know who they are. Any flash at all now is in GPUs and Intel's is now ehere except for some 4k benefit in embedded 4k graphics finally caught up w/4k world, and again behind the curve.

Personally, I'm more than ready for Rizen, finally (and at last once more) an AMD chip with something going for it.

Personally, I love these updates. Means my 4790k still hasn't really fallen behind. Even when CPUs are groundbreaking new releases, I still struggle to get excited by them. GPU's on the other hand...

The Pentiums get Hyper-Threading and the i7-7660U can turbo to 4Ghz and has a TDP of just 15 watts. Kaby Lake is not all boring.

If you're assuming that part can reach those 4 GHz easily, you're wrong. It will be for scenarios with minimum HSIO connected, integer workloads, and no use of IGP. If you're thinking gaming: more games are demanding more cores/threads and don't benefit just from frequency. And don't be deceived, those Pentiums are just Core i3s with either faulty AVX unit or using the AVX 2.0 extension skyrocket the power consumption.

Back