Correct Temp Reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy06shake

I seem to be getting 3 different temperature readings for my CPU(E8500 3.16Ghz). PCProbe 2 reports CPU temps of 70-80c, CoreTemp reports 56c and Real Temp reports 46c. If the first readings(70-80c) were correct i think the CPU would fry or at least blue screen the system. Can anyone out there explain why this is ocuring? Or a Temperature monitoring tool/utility that will report more realistic values? My specs E8500 3.16Ghz, P5N32-E SLI, EN9600GT, 2Gb DDR2, 570w PSU, Vista Ultimate.

Unless you are having computer problems like you mentioned, freezing, blue screens or shutdowns, temp readings are not critical. Temp sensors on motherboards are notorius for being less than accurate. Even if you used a good thermocouple to measure the temps, it would depend on where you placed the probe to get the most accurate temp. For a CPU the best place for the probe tip would be between the CPU heatsink and the CPU die... As you can imagine, this is not practical

CoreTemp is the most accurate, but do not worry about ideal tempt. as it won't be hot and none of these tests will show it accurate.

What is your mainboards CPU sensor and MB temp?
Wolfdales have a known issue with the core temp sensors and Intel even put out a bulletin recommending that you should go by your motherboard cpu temp sensor reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back