Corrupt context menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikescorpio81

Hi all ...

My work laptop has corrupt context menu icons and shortcuts. Subsequently, when I right-click an icon or drive object, explorer.exe hangs. I have disabled all programs which created context menu icons and found a white paper on the internet RE: regedit fixes, but after all this I still have the same problem.

Yes I can work around it and yes this laptop gets formatted on a 3 month basis (usually!) but this time round I have more than 50 programs installed, tonnes of data and I cant be bothered formatting!

If anyone has any suggestions or a better regedit than what I could find on the net please help

Cheers :grinthumb

These are the only regedits I`ve seen so far :haha: -

A faulty Explorer shell extension put in the right click menus appears to be the problem.Known culprits include Photoshop,Divvx and Spysweeper.

From - http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Right_click_or_Ctrl-C_causing_crash

1.Go to Regedit

2.Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!

3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.

4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in (Windows Explorer) whether right click works again. This way you should find the defective extension.

5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

You may have to repeat this with the keys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

or

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

If the error happens with directories or with virtual folders.

One other idea -

"I went into Task Handler, processes, and then right clicked the process appeared " verclsid.exe".
I did a Google search and found that this was part of a recent Windows update.
The suggestion was to do a search on the C: for that file and to rename it "verclsid.bak".
I did what was suggested and everything is working fine.
Apparently the "verclsid.exe" was part of a recent XP Home update."

Thanks for that.

I recently fixed a few PC's with that update from Microsoft, but I found it to be caused by HP scanners, printers, etc.

Your regedits are helpful and I will have a crack at it tonight!
I'll let u know how I go ...

Cheers :grinthumb

Wow, finally!

Peddant,
You'll probably never see this late comment to this thread, but in case some kind of notification comes your way I've gotta thank you for your suggestions here. They worked for an ageless problem I'd been having with my image context menu options. I deleted a handler to do with some context modifying app I had tried a long time ago that had a seriously adverse effect on how my options were displayed. It sure modified them, I couldn't read them anymore! Well, again...THANKS! -Bill in Grand Junction, Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back