Corrupt Data Damaged New HDD?

Punkid

I've had a 2TB WD Green drive for over 2 years, since last week I started having problems with it. Some data could not be read, could not be written. I thought the drive was too full ( had only 20ish GB free) so I deleted some stuff, defragged, but it wouldn't complete any process, not even disk check. In task manager, disk usage would say 100% but data transfer rates wouldnt move from Zero.

So I went out and bought a new 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001. I connected it, and straight away started copying any data that could be copied from the drive. After copying about half of it, I tried to check out the newly copied stuff and similar things started happening to the new drive. 100% disk usage, not reading some stuff, not writing big files. SM.A.R.T started saying that the drive had bad sectors, started from 32, went to over 3000 in matter of hours.

I got the drive replaced in warranty, but am afraid to copy that data to the new drive, worried that it might damage the drive again.

My question is, can the data from the old drive damage the new HDD or was that 3tb drive faulty from the start? (it had no bad sectors when I connected it).
Also, the data is mostly media...movies, tv shows, pictures. But theyre messed up, like a picture would be replaced by another totally unrelated picture. Is there a way to check the data? Disk Check can not complete the process.

I do not think 'corrupted' data can harm the physical drive (a firmware rewrite would be something else).

Sorry, but a defrag on a HDD which is physically failing is not a good idea - too likely to end up with unidentifiable sectors.

I would try to remove files off the dying WD, but give up if the files I 'saved' on new media are unreadable.

The new 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 which died sounds more like infantile failure (bad electronics showing up in the first few hours), but you might want to check PSU voltages to make sure they are within specification. I use HWInfo and run it in the background for 30 minutes to get the full range of value. Voltages less than 97% or more than 105% of nominal would be a warning sign. Monitor SMART on each drive too.

Let us know how it works out.

The new 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 which died sounds more like infantile failure (bad electronics showing up in the first few hours), but you might want to check PSU voltages to make sure they are within specification. I use HWInfo and run it in the background for 30 minutes to get the full range of value. Voltages less than 97% or more than 105% of nominal would be a warning sign. Monitor SMART on each drive too
I do keep an eye on the SMART of all my drives. How do I check voltages? which attribute in HWInfo is indicative ?

What I plan on doing is first copying files to one of my other older drives, then copying them to the new drive.

The main ones are +12v (3.5" SATA) and +5v (2.5" SATA). The +3.3v is the coin battery. Lower voltage reports are memory and cpu.

The main ones are +12v (3.5" SATA) and +5v (2.5" SATA). The +3.3v is the coin battery. Lower voltage reports are memory and cpu.
Just checked, added some stress to the cpu gpu and disks too, voltages are stable, no large deviations.

I guess ill try copying my data again and see how it goes

Update: I have salvaged most of the data that could be salvaged.

Now I want to attempt to make the old 2tb drive slightly usable, for temporary data etc. What would be the best way to go about repairing bad sectors? Afaik, the drive is not deteriorating. Keep in mind that chkdsk does not complete.

Also, I can completely format the drive now since I have backed up everything

Go to manufacturer's website and download their 'tools'. Now that you have recovered what you can, a low level format might work. It is 'destructive' (no data will remain), but it will give you best idea as to whether the drive might have any use left.

2TB WD are FAR more reliable than the 3-4TB choices.

If SMART is showing increasing Sector Relocations, then the HD is junk.

DATA per se can not corrupt the Media. Depending upon the setup, concurrent writes coming form different systems stress the firmware and if not up to snuff, corruption of bytes written to the media can occur. HOWEVER, that would never show up as sector relocation.

....[ ].....So I went out and bought a new 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001. I connected it, and straight away started copying any data that could be copied from the drive. After copying about half of it, I tried to check out the newly copied stuff and similar things started happening to the new drive. 100% disk usage, not reading some stuff, not writing big files. SM.A.R.T started saying that the drive had bad sectors, started from 32, went to over 3000 in matter of hours.
My question is, can the data from the old drive damage the new HDD or was that 3tb drive faulty from the start? (it had no bad sectors when I connected it)..
The Seagate "Barracuda" 3TB has the worst failure rate in the industry, period.

You need to get out from under it, ASAP.

If your say, photo and its file name are not the ones which belong together, the file tables are hosed, likely from the drive you returned.

I can't tell you what you should buy to replace a Seagate 3TB. But whatever you decide on, will be a big step up. I have 1 & 2TB drives from Seagate, and don't have a bit of trouble with them. But, those three'sies suck.

Read the reviews at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W01HP4645 They average 3 stars, and 35% are 1 star. Which is, for all intents and purposes, the kiss of death.

(If you're wondering, I don't pay attention to individual reviews, but I give more credence to the read I'm getting off the reviewer. In any case, 3 stars is a very powerful negative trend, and one you shouldn't ignore).

Last edited:
Back