Corrupted User Profile in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

interploy

Hi, I was working on a project yesterday when my computer blue-screened me (blank screen, no error message). When I restarted it and tried to log in, it gave me this error:

"Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficeint security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator."

And then a second error pops up that says:

"Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off."

After this it loads me on to the temporary profile. The thing is, I can no longer see nearly any text. The icons are there, but the names are gone (in every part of the computer, not just the desktop and start menu), the text in all the menus (eg. File, Edit, View... the links still work, though the text is missing) is gone, and most of the text in the explorer windows is missing as well, including buttons. I can't do a restore becuase the buttons are gone (not invisible, gone; clicking where the button should be has no effect, neither does pressing enter). I tried to make a new profile and copy over my settings, but again, no buttons. I tried to service the problem using the admin but the problem carries over there too. The same with safe mode.

I'm really at a loss here. Is there anything I can do?

Yes, I've tried to go into safe mode, but the problem carries over in both my regular and admin accounts. I don't know what other options I can try...

Ah,you mentioned safe mode in your first post.I must read more carefully.Is there any way you can get the run box to appear(start/run) ? If so you could try registering javascript like this-

In the Open box, type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then click OK. type regsvr32 vbscript.dll, and then click OK

It`s a long shot,but it might bring up the system restore buttons.
If you can`t get a run box,or a command line up,ignore this post.

I was able to pull up the command prompt, but unfortunately the commands had no effect. Thank you for the sugestion though.

If it comes down to it, would a repair using the WinXP disc work? I'd like to avoid wiping my drive if at all possible...

Given that nobody else has suggested anything,I think that means your situation must be a bit desperate.You could try a repair install,you`ve got nothing to lose,except your Windows updates of course.Oh,and some of your programs might need reinstalling.

Have you tried recovery console

Try using the recovery console before doing repair install. its worth doing because that level of OS corruption might not allow a repair install. use Chkdsk C: /r in the recovery console first. "type help ?" and see if any other tools in the console will help.

I tried the console and did the chkdsk 4 times. It got a little farhter each time (up to 27%), but always ended saying there were one or more unrecoverable errors on the drive.

I then tried to do a repair install (where I reinstall over the previous XP) but when it came to it, it failed to recognize the old OS and only gave me the option of formatting.

Before I have to go with a format of the drive, is there any other option I could take? Any at all? Even if there isn't, thank you all for your help.

HI interploy!

Unfortunately your partition table is up the spout: dont know if you know how to address that? But Data Loss is iminent, suggest you save any data by puting in a second harddrive and installing on that one and you should still be able to retrieve your data. you could use an external Usb HDD to install xp and then try to retrieve your data.

have you tried from recovery console, Fixmbr, then r4eboot into recovery console again then fixboot,> restart to console, and then bootconfig, and then try the repair install. (sometimes recovers disk enough for repair install to work). If you can get hold of the ULTIMATE BOOT CD you can try to recover partition table with one of the tools, theres also MINI PExt and Norton All In ONE, they.re good Data recovery tools.

Even if you are able to repair you have to keep in mind that there is problem and the only to cure is to Fix your partition table or, delete, recreate and format all partitions on your hdd, and use a hdd regeneration or low level disk format tool before you trust putting your OS on that hdd again.

I would definately run a full hard disc scan before doing all that. Check your event log (if you can) and see if it says anything about bad blocks on the HDD etc. Good luck!

Oh Heck Larry,
Never hurts for someone to re-build their machine from time to time :) I agree with your fix but looks like it is a royally screwed up machine. Next time your fix would be the first to try before going so much deeper, may have been able to fix the disk corruption before trying all the other fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back