Corrupted win xp pro sp3 install

By pvibien
Mar 23, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi
    i tried upgrading (about a week a go) from win xp home edition sp2 to win xp pro sp3
    during the installation it goes fine until right after it finishes installing the network it cannot find the files to install
    i have a dell Dimension 2400 Intel celeron 2.4 ghz 80 GB dual booting opensuse
    what i did when the widow error came during the installation was just click no to find the file
    i know that this is a functioning cd because it succesfully installes on any other pc that i can find
    in the curupted version of windows sp3 right know i can not acces firewall, security center, ics services, and sfc /scannow will only ask ask for a disk and then just closes out even if the disk in it
    also in services there is no wmi service show which i guess it is a bad thing

pvibien

sorry for spelling
  2. Aerendyl

Aerendyl Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,386   +205

At first I thought of suggesting going to Windows Update too but note that he is going from XP Home to XP Pro as well.
  4. pvibien

pvibien Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 72

thanks for your help but the thing is that is not the sp3 (i believe) it the computer is self or the fact it going form home to pro edititon

does any one else have any thoughts
  5. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav Newcomer, in training Posts: 190

Let's see where it left off...
    Are you able to login to any mode (safe mode, safe w/ networking, normal, etc).
    If so, goto Start -> Run. Type in: Sysdm.cpl

What version of widows does it say, Professional or Home?
  6. gornati

gornati Newcomer, in training

could be memory?
  7. pvibien

gornati : it is not memory it just that during the install it was looking for files wich it did not find
    tweaks_sav : i can access all those boot menu options and it says that my computer is pro sp3
  8. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,327   +49

Is it a legit copy of XP pro at SP3 step? If not, we dont help.
  9. pvibien

it is a legit version of windows and but the reason why i am posting is to see if it was possible to fix the missing files also what is strange is that it works perfectly fine on other pc's
  10. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,327   +49

It is possible the CD reader you are using is marginally out of spec and is incorrectly reading parts of the CD that other PC's have no trouble with. One way round this is to copy the CD prior to an install onto your hard disc into a second partition.

The problem could also be caused by applying the install as an upgrade to XP home. I have vague memories of other posters having somewhat similar problems in that situation.

My advice therefore would be 'copy install CD to hard disk, perform clean install'

(a) take and validate backups of everything you want to keep (data, applications settings, email store etc)
    (b) download a free partition manager e.g. gparted, and with that shorten the OS partition to perhaps 70% of the space, then add another partition in the rest, which you should format as NTFS. Be sure to give the partition a meaningful name such as 'installbkup'
    (c) copy the XP SP3 CD to this second partition (which will probably be D:, but if not, be sure to identify it by the name just given to it). In the event of copy failures, we'll start again !
    (d) boot up into safe mode with command prompt

move to D: as default drive (D: in command prompt window) and type 'setup'. At this point a normal install of windows should start and you will have to instruct it to clear the existing XP-home version by reformatting that partition.
  11. pvibien

can please explain more on waht you said above

12. Bluemouse

Bluemouse Newcomer, in training Posts: 405

Oh God.... going from Home-> Professional is bad enough. Upgrading service packs while you're at it is just asking for trouble mate ;)

In all honesty, I would do a clean install if you can't fix it. I think you can system restore back to your old installation as well if you want, but don't quote me on that...
  13. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Bluemouse that's not understandable :confused:

Going from Home to Pro is ok (it's not really required of course) But it's not "bad" ie I have Pro.
    And updating Service Packs whilst installing a new OS is actually a good idea, if anything it's "bad" if you don't !
  14. Bluemouse

Er..I meant that upgrading (without a clean install) even one at a time causes problems a fair amount of the time, and that doing two upgrades at once (essentially) would probably cause even more problems.
  15. kimsland

You can't do two OS upgrades at once on one drive
    As for OS and Service Packs combined, there's no issue with that either :confused:
  16. Bluemouse

*sigh*

What I was saying is that:

a) Going from Home -> Professional, or
    b) Going from SPx -> SPx+1

both sometimes cause problems, and that it's better to do a clean install of the OS when at all possible. And that doing a combination of a + b is likely to cause even more problems than just doing one or the other...
  17. kimsland

I see no issue in doing A + B

Upgrade the OS and install the Service Packs straight away
    I always install the Service Packs straight away, and then update all the Windows security updates after that. Really it's the only and best way.
  18. Bluemouse

Well... no... the "best" way is to do a clean install from an edition with the new SP already with it, but I will agree that it isn't usually that viable or possible. In this case, I'm assuming that he has a cd with XP SP3 on it, meaning that it's upgrading both the edition and the SP at the same time without just doing a clean install with XP Pro SP3 on it.

While upgrading service packs doesn't *usually* cause problems, it does sometimes. Likewise, doing an upgrade from home->professional can also cause problems that can be avoided by just doing a clean install of Professional :) Again, it isn't always the easiest option since you have to do a full install, but it is the best way to ensure that you don't have as many problems. And I know that it doesn't address the issue of the thread, but I just wanted to say that doing a clean install instead of upgrading is generally better.

And I think I've used the term "clean install" a few too many times ;)
  19. kimsland

20. pvibien

thanks i will try that
  21. kimsland

Well its been two weeks since this fault happened to you
    I think it may be best to "try" that ;)
    Let us know how you go :)
  22. pvibien

hey guys do you think that maybe that the setting on my two cd drives could be messing up the installation/ upgrade of windows right now the cd roms are set to cable select

write now i can not boot fro the bottom drive with the way it is with cable select

i got this idea from gbhall if you wanted to know when i was rereading all the posts

two drives are top = sony cd, cdr, dvd, dvdr reader
    bottom = lite on cd, cdr, dvd, dvdr, dvd dual layer reader/ writer

should i change the setup what do you guys think
  23. kimsland

You don't need two CD\DVD Drives in the first place.
    Just remove one
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.