Corsair Carbide 400Q Review: Affordable, Minimalist Mid Tower

Steve

Staff member

With its vast knowledge and experience of case building, Corsair must have foreseen that the Carbide 600C we reviewed last month wouldn't appeal to everyone with its inverted ATX layout, so its counteroffer seems premeditated. Just a month later, Corsair is back with the new Carbide 400C and 400Q.

On hand we have the Carbide 400Q, which does away with the inverted ATX layout and returns the power supply to the bottom of the case among other changes: the I/O panel runs horizontally across the top, the ultrawide footprint is gone, the 5.25” drive bays have been removed and therefore the magnetic door has also been scrapped.

The Carbide 400 series then is a more traditional approach that still maintains the clean lines and curved solid-steel exterior of the 600 series for a great minimalist look.

Read the complete review.

Over all a pretty impressive package, but have to agree that at $150 it is a bit high for a mid-size tower. Other than that I would give it a 10+ rating and probably worth the money, even at the higher price point.

That's better, I like this a lot more than the 600, even after losing the 5.25" bays.

This case in general, but especially outward design reminds me a lot of the Fractal Design Define S. I like the single top panel cover better than the somewhat annoying overlapping 3 piece cover that the Define S uses. Similar designed front panel, similar location for the front panel, similar dimensions albeit a little smaller). On the inside is where the mix up to me starts. The two cases also swap physical capacity numbers; the 400Q can hold three 2.5" drives and two 3.5" drives, where the Define S can handle the reverse at two and three respectively. particularly the location of the 3.5" storage. As the 400Q has them horizontal on the bottom, that will no doubt be more familiar to case builders, placing the 3.5" bays here does have ramifications .

As mentioned in the review, with the parts used in the build "the 400Q is just begging for a large front mounted radiator." This is one thing the Define S has a distinct advantage. Since the Define S mounts it's 3.5" drives vertically with the 2.5" drives behind the motherboard tray, it allows for a nice and thick 360mm radiator, something that the 400Q can't do without sacrificing storage capacity. If you were to go top mounted, the Define S similarly gives you more options, but that is due to the design of the top panel and not having something "in the way." If extensive liquid cooling is in your future it would be harder to argue against either case, but the Define S gives you more options in that regard and probably at the same price point of $70-$80.

For an SSD only rig, this case is great.

Won't buy one until Fry's has it for $75 or less though.
Way over priced ! You can get some of Corsair's other
outstanding cases, that are more expansive, for less than
the listed price of this one.

(Update: Corsair has confirmed to us the official retail price for the Carbide 400Q is $99).
Ah, so I guess that makes Fractal Design's Define S (the 400Q's closest actual competition regards to price, styling, and capability) a better deal honestly. =/

I don't like controls on the top of the case, and I certainly don't like ports up there, filling up with dust.

Back